September 20, 2017

Walk by faith, not by sight



Some say that the state of the world indicates that the return of Jesus Christ is eminent. I suppose that it could be, depending on a person’s view of the ‘last days’ or ‘end times’. Whether Jesus is coming soon or not, my mind has been preoccupied with those who are not yet saved, particularly family members and friends, but also the people who are experiencing floods, drought, earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorism, and other tragic events. Do they know Christ? Do they have assurance of eternal life? If they do, are the deaths from these events and from persecutions God’s way of taking them home?

Last night, I woke several times and prayed for some by name and others by circumstances. As my daughter said last week, the whole world is in a mess. If it is not adverse weather, it is adversity between people of different beliefs, or mindless terrorism from those who seem to delight in destroying others. I’m certain that I’m not the only one who has a knot in my gut when I turn on the news.

If my eternal destiny depended on my ability to believe, or on my faithful devotion and delight in God, then it would be okay those days when things go well, and not okay on other days when I feel unsure and unraveled. I know that God is true, yet so much of what is happening in family, friends, and the world around me feels like the devil is laughing in my face and mocking my assurance.

God must know that. He offers today’s devotional as a comfort in two ways. First, I am glad that the work of God applies to my own life. I am safe in His care. I’m also glad that it applies to all those who genuinely believe the Gospel. They are safe in His care too, and even if tragic events take their lives, they are forever with the Lord in a safe and glorious eternity. Here are some words from God that remind and encourage me that this is true.

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” (John 10:27–30)

If this is not true, then Jesus is a liar and no one has any hope. However, no one or nothing could convince me that He is other than “the way, the truth, and the life!”

But what about those who walk away. They seemed to believe, but didn’t continue. Of these, the Bible says, “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.” (1 John 2:19) This is a way of saying that anyone who belongs to God will continue with God. Walking away indicates that whoever does that was a phony in the first place. In the case of those I know who started a walk of faith and seem to have abandoned it, I’m not sure this is a comfort. However, it does assure me that those who believe will not be lost.

The devotional says, “If our salvation were in any measure dependent upon us, we would most certainly be lost and without hope. But salvation is entirely the work of God’s grace and power in Christ. And since it is the work of God, it cannot be destroyed.”

Solomon verifies this by saying, “I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.” (Ecclesiastes 3:14) No matter what is going on in this world or in the lives of individuals, the Lord God — who brings people to the saving knowledge of His Son — can keep them in that knowledge.

The New Testament says the same thing. God does not start something without finishing it:

“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6)

 ^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus Christ, when I add up the promises and assurances in Your Word, I am encouraged for Your people, many of whom are experiencing traumatic and life-threatening dangers. You can bring them through or bring them to their eternal home. I am also encouraged that because You are strong and faithful to keep Your people from turning away, You are also able to save those who do not know You yet. I will keep praying, not in fear but in confidence. Salvation is Your doing. Nothing is too difficult for You, and nothing can undo what You have done.

No comments: