September 13, 2017

King over the flood . . .



Normally my devotional time is between me and God. I’m listening to Him, wanting to know His thoughts for each day. Normally I try to interpret what I read in a sound way, not taking verses out of context, or applying them against what the author intended for his readers. Normally God speaks to me with words of correction, or instruction, words that I need to meditate upon for the day and apply to my life. Today, He says something that is outside the normal.

Perhaps this is because the people of Florida, Texas, Mexico, and a host of other places have been on my mind almost 24/7. At first, the news was overwhelming, and it still is, but now I’m using it for prayer. I’m also encouraged by the way people affected by the hurricanes are helping one another. While a few are behaving as if they are the only ones that are suffering, many are joyful to be alive and using whatever resources they have left to encourage their neighbors.

That said, this morning’s devotional readings took me to these verses. This is out of context, yet God is saying to me that ‘this is the kind of God I am.’ If any of His children are reading this, may they also draw near to Him and be encouraged:

The coastlands have seen and are afraid; the ends of the earth tremble; they have drawn near and come. Everyone helps his neighbor and says to his brother, “Be strong!” The craftsman strengthens the goldsmith, and he who smooths with the hammer him who strikes the anvil, saying of the soldering, “It is good”; and they strengthen it with nails so that it cannot be moved. But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend; you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off”; fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:5–10)

Certainly, the catastrophe created by Harvey, Irma, and other storms in North America and around the world are God-sized problems. People are resourceful and determined, yet many of them are realizing they cannot do this without enormous help, even saying that God will help them because they know where their help comes from.

“I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:1–2)

My prayers ask for His abundant help. People need divine wisdom for this, plus grace toward others, and encouragement for their desperation and hopelessness. They need divine patience as rescue and recovery moves slowly. Authorities need wisdom as they oversee the efforts, and workers need safety and the ability to work efficiently, in unity, and quickly.

Another verse is cited in today’s devotional. It is about salvation from sin, yet as I read it, God said to me that this is how God loves people, how He is willing to go to bat for sinners who need saving and also for sufferers who have no power, water, or a home left to live in. These words are His words to me too as I call on Him to care for the millions who need prayer — my prayers but also His intercession for them:

“Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.” (Hebrews 7:25)

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I am deeply touched that You promise to help and strengthen Your people. You not only move me to constant prayer for those who are overwhelmed by their losses, but You are praying too — for those who draw near to God through You. May many people discover that You are with them to strengthen and help them, to uphold them with Your righteous right hand. May the help You give be evident, acknowledged, and received with thanksgiving.

No comments: