September 3, 2017

Is fiction the same as a lie?



A book about writing fiction is entitled, “Telling Lies for Fun and Profit.” While I get upset when lied to, I’ve no problem reading fiction. The difference is that a lie is intended to deceive, but fiction is (usually) intended to entertain, inform, and likely make money for its author. Unless the author has an agenda and uses it as a tool to promote something, fiction is (usually) is not intended to deceive.

Doing a simple search for “if the truth hurts” quotes yields an abundance, most of them saying that it is better to be hurt by the truth than comforted by a lie. The Bible says “every man is a liar” but God is not into deception. He tells the truth. Sometimes it hurts. However, His intention always is freedom, if I will just listen!

The Scriptures are filled with admonitions about truth and lies. Truth is from God and lies are from Satan who is also called the Destroyer. His deception brought sin into the world and he continues to encourage sin, deceiving millions to their peril. Those lies take many forms such as: “God doesn’t love you” or “No problem, everyone else is doing it” or “No one will know so go ahead” or “it’s really not so bad . . . .” However good a lie might sound, the wisest man in the world wrote this:

“Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding.” (Proverbs 23:23)

Solomon was also inspired by God to write about wisdom. It seems to me that ‘truth’ could be put in this passage without changing its intent. Wisdom and truth go hand in hand:

“Get wisdom; get insight; do not forget, and do not turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will keep you; love her, and she will guard you. The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom, and whatever you get, get insight. Prize her highly, and she will exalt you; she will honor you if you embrace her. She will place on your head a graceful garland; she will bestow on you a beautiful crown.” Hear, my son, and accept my words, that the years of your life may be many. I have taught you the way of wisdom; I have led you in the paths of uprightness. When you walk, your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble. Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life. Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not walk in the way of the evil. Avoid it; do not go on it; turn away from it and pass on. For they cannot sleep unless they have done wrong; they are robbed of sleep unless they have made someone stumble. For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence. But the path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, which shines brighter and brighter until full day. The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know over what they stumble.” (Proverbs 4:5–19)

Truth guards my life and honors it. Even the simple act of telling a store clerk I have been given too much change is a crown on my head. Truth allows me to sleep at night. It also keeps me alert. When I stumble, I know exactly what tripped me — a focus on truth makes lies much easier to recognize.

This is not to say I’ve never been duped. Today’s devotional reading lists a few biblical characters who ‘sold truth for lies’ and wound up lost, but I identify more with those who valued truth, but sometimes in a negative sense.

Moses gave up all the ‘treasures of Egypt’ that he might buy the truth. At times, I’ve wanted the treasures of this life, the treasures of temporal things. That desire and associated lies kept me in bondage to worldliness until truth set me free.

Paul gave up his Jewish privileges and high reputation that he might buy the truth. For me, that desire to be well-thought of because of my position or abilities has tripped me up. Jesus has had to teach me over and over that what I valued is not what God values. The truth releases me from the fear of man and those lies from the devil about what is important.

The Hebrews ‘took joyfully the spoiling of their goods’ that they might buy the truth. In my old life, I guarded my possessions and would not even loan anyone a book from my shelves. Being tight-fisted was partly upbringing with thrifty parents, but mostly greed and selfishness. The lie is that God cannot supply all my needs. However, He teaches me over and over that I can rely on Him. If I give away something I need, He simply replaces it.

The Bible speaks of martyrs who ‘loved not their lives unto death’ that they might buy the truth. This one I’ve obviously not been tested on. The lie goes something like this: “This life is all there is . . .” or “when you are dead, you are dead” but the truth is:

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)   

 ^^^^^^^
Jesus, since I’ve already ‘bought’ that truth, I know that if (or when) it is tested, You will enable me to laugh at the lie and enter the fullness of the eternal life, a life from You that I already have! You are the way, You are the truth! In You I have life everlasting and You are my great weapon and protection against being eternally deceived!

No comments: