May 26, 2011

Peace on the Learning Curve

Our church is part of a nationwide 24/7 prayer incentive. Members sign up for one hour commitments throughout the day and night for one week. One of my time commitments was yesterday from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

When I got there, another woman was in the designated space. She signed up for 2:00 but was still praying. When she came out of the room, her appearance was changed. She looked younger, full of energy and her face shone. I don’t know what I looked like when my hour was over, but spending time with the Lord makes a difference. Being with Him brings more than contentment and joy to our faces.

For one thing, praying gives release from the cares of this world and the pressures of life. As God’s people have learned, we can . . . 

Cast our burdens on the LORD, and he will sustain us; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. (Psalm 55:22, paraphrased)
God takes our burdens from us, and if not, He sustains us as we carry them. He keeps us unmovable in the sense that things do not bother us the same way they would have had we not taken our concerns to Him. The burdens are not as heaven because we know that He is carrying them too.

Yesterday before my prayer time, a friend told me that she was always calmed down when we were together. I was puzzled, and she explained that it was because I am “so well grounded.” Of course I pointed skyward and said my grounding was from God. She said she knew that.

God is the One who sustains. Knowing He is in control keeps my feet on the ground. Not only that, He produces peace in my heart. Trusting Him is not mere words. I know who He is and what He can do so am less inclined to worry. Because He cares, I can affirm Isaiah’s words . . . 

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock. (Isaiah 26:3–4)
This does not mean that I am never in a flap about something, nor is my life free of problems, trials, and perplexities. It does mean that He invites me to bring those things to Him. I still may have to do the tasks, take care of the issues, and untangle the messes, but not always. Sometime He simply does it for me. If not, He floods my heart with peace and joy so that I can think clearly to do my part and rise above the anxiety that I’d normally feel.

Yet being His child is a learning curve. The curve is gradual or steep, sharp or easy, full of danger or clear sailing, but no matter what jumps in front of me on this curve, God sustains me just as He promises. He keeps me at peace as I keep my mind on Him, trusting Him.

**************
Lord, today begins with a feeling that this might be a gentle-curve-day. If so, thank You for a rest from the past few days of a steep and uphill path. If not, I know that You are with me. Because You are a solid rock and the source of all things good, I am trusting You for whatever I need. You will sustain and guide me, giving me grace and mercy for every twist and turn, and even on the straighter stretches, of today’s learning curve. 

Clipart from Clipartheaven.com

No comments: