May 16, 2011

Laughter is God’s idea

There is a myth that manages to get into the hearts of people and convince them that if they follow Jesus Christ, they cannot possibly have any fun. They are convinced that life as they know it will change drastically from pleasure to stern duty and no laughing.

I am convinced that this is a lie from our spiritual enemy. I know God is not a kill-joy, yet after our fantastic anniversary celebration, it has popped into my head a few times that having as much fun as we did with family and friends has to be a sin. Eating good food, enjoying people and laughing over mostly silly remarks is just not a godly way to behave. I woke up this morning wondering if all that enjoyment was really from God, and then read this exhortation from Paul to a young pastor:

As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. (1 Timothy 6:17–19)
Paul tells Timothy to challenge rich people. In our country, I’d say almost everyone that I know is rich comparatively. We live in a prosperous part of the world so I can safely say that these verses contain something God wants me to know.

He says I’m not to be haughty, high-minded or proud. By His grace (we did pray), pride didn’t even enter my head this weekend. The closest might have been when I felt delight at the spiritual fruit I was seeing in others. I did say I was proud of our kids, but it wasn’t my doing that they were kind and good. This was a gift from God and a feast for my heart.

The verses say that I’m not to set my hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God. We are so aware of His blessing. Both my husband and I have experienced extended times of uncertainty about bills getting paid, even of having food on the table. We know that God is our supply. We openly thanked Him for all He has done for us. Without God, we know exactly what emptiness is and that any ability to do well comes from Him.

These words also say that God richly provides us with everything to enjoy. He cares about pleasure. He wants us to enjoy life. Of course that does not say He wants us to enjoy sin, but fun does not have to be sinful. Doing good, generosity, sharing our lives and resources with others is fun. Being thankful for everything also makes joy bubble up in our hearts.

****************
Lord, we stayed up late and laughed much. We talked and listened, and felt Your presence. I feel sad for those who think that being a Christian cannot be fun. You are the joy-Giver and our source of joy. 
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11)

No comments: