May 18, 2011

Eating without sinning

Almost every evening and immediately after a good supper, I feel extremely hungry. My stomach is full, so I know this is not legitimate hunger. However, at times it feels like starvation.

About one week out of a month, it gets the best of me. Since I’m too old for hormonal cycles, I’ve been investigating. No answer has helped except the ideas given in a book called Love to Eat, Hate to Eat by Elyse Fitzpatrick. She suggests that some people crave the satisfaction that comes from eating so much so that it becomes a snare. It is also a sin because I claim God as my resource for joy and satisfaction, not food. To deny that and replace Him with food is idolatry.

This revelation helps. I’m confessing my cravings for what they are and have been able to resist, now that I see the sin side of them. However, this has not made them go away. The following verses describe some of my thoughts in this battle as God works to change the way that I think about food.

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. (Hebrews 12:3–10)
Jesus hung on a cross when He could have come down and saved Himself. He resisted that temptation because His death was the Father’s plan. He said, “Not my will, but thine be done.” I’ve not resisted food cravings to that point, nor will that ever happen. I am encouraged by the commitment of my Savior.

I’m also encouraged that this discipline from God is also a mark of being a Christian. For those who never experience His chastening or His command to be self-controlled, there is no assurance that they are His children. God disciplines me because He loves me. This is for my good. It may be about health and good habits, but it is more about being able to say no to sin and yes to whatever He asks. If He says “Eat” then I eat. If He says “Don’t eat” then I won’t eat. This is mostly about obedience, not food.

For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed. (Hebrews 12:11–13)
Yea, I can relate to the painful rather than pleasant part, but also to the peaceful fruit of righteousness part. I have been to several “lots of food” events and ate only what I knew was right for me. This put great joy in my heart and gave me more confidence in other areas of obedience. I never realized how much sin destroys both until this war with food cravings. I’m also realizing that being concerned about losing weight or being healthy is not as important as being determined to please God. If I need those other benefits, He will bless me with them. For now, the focus is obedience.
****************
Father, I am thankful to be Your child, even Your child who needs discipline. Each area of my life belongs to You. I am delighted that You care about every part of who I am and what I do. Eating is such an ordinary activity, but even in that there is temptation or the threat of obedience. You say, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31) and I say, “Amen!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsie, look into Insulin Resistance. People who are insulin resistant (ie me!!!) are often hungry right after they eat because there is a spike in insulin as your body tries to process sugar it has trouble with. Excess insulin tells you you are hungry.
When my sugars are under control,I am not hungry after I eat. I thought I had just broken whatever mechanism my body had to tell me when I was full.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thanks for this… I asked my doctor about this food craving last annual physical and she did some checks. Since I eat lots of the right stuff (low carbs, lots of veggies, seldom eat sweets or desserts) and have none of the other problems that go with it, like obesity, high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. she decided (not being a Christian) I should look into emotional eating clinics. I thought/prayed about that and did not make any connections, so began reading on my own and discovered “Love to Eat, Hate to Eat” with suggestions on spiritual issues with eating. It has been helpful. I will ask her to keep an eye on this though, just in case. I'll also be looking for connections to "what" I eat and then how I feel after eating.