April 21, 2011

Little prayers, big answers

Some will trust God for the big things, like eternal life and deliverance when in dire straits, but they laugh at those who pray about parking places and help with family spats. Their faith includes “common sense” and a claim that God gave them the ability to handle the ordinary issues of life so they don’t need to pray about small things. Was this what Paul had in mind when he wrote these words?
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died — more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. (Romans 8:31–34)
Last night on my way to a secular quilt guild meeting, I prayed for two things. One was that I make a new friend. I sometimes feel alone at these events because so many go to them with their friends. I don’t feel like butting in. Small talk is difficult too. However, my biggest reason for joining is to build relationships with others who do not know the Lord. I need His help with this.

My second request was about involvement in the guild. Someone called me earlier asking if I’d serve on the executive or on a committee. I wasn’t certain, so asked God to show me if He wanted me to offer help, and in what capacity.

Both prayers were answered. I met some people that I knew, but when it came time to be seated, they had a spot together — no space for me. So I kept going down the row and noticed a woman sitting by herself. Almost immediately we were chatting as if we’d known one another for years.

After the meeting, we were told that the main presenter had a family problem so a substitute speaker took the podium. I’d met her before, but had not heard her story of how she started a charitable foundation in Canada that gets quilts to wounded soldiers. As she talked, the Holy Spirit nudged. I knew God wanted me to offer help. It was a bit of a surprise since I was prepared to do that for the meeting sponsors. However, we talked after the event and she told me what she really needed. The job fit my background experience and skills and is something I can do from home. We were both delighted.

As I read these verses this morning, I thought of people who would never pray about such matters. They say, “Use your brains” or something like that, without connecting their independence with the verse that tells us we have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16) and that we are supposed to use it.

I’ve been independent much of my life, even as a Christian. I’m learning that any “I’ll do it myself” attitude always works at cross-purposes with the will of God. His thinking is far above mine. When I entered that meeting room, I thought to sit with the few people that I knew. God had other ideas and made sure I couldn’t carry out that plan.

Then I planned to get on board with the larger group sponsoring the meeting. But He had other ideas there too. He knows that me being a treasurer, or a person with a phone list, or doing any of their other volunteer positions would be a bad fit. So He rearranged the speakers and drew me to the one place where the need and the skills He gave me are a great match. He had already given me a passion for the work this speaker is doing too, so I am eager to be involved.

***************
God, You justify me and sent Jesus to die for my sin. These are big issues! However, Jesus also lives forever to pray for me and You graciously hear His prayers and mine. You give me all that I need, even opportunities to serve You. You answer my prayers, big and little. I am overjoyed at Your love for me and eager to share it in ways that You direct. Thank You.

No comments: