March 14, 2011

Saved by grace, not by self-effort

Trying to lose weight by eating properly and exercising regularly becomes an exercise in frustration. The human desire to “want what I want when I want it” threatens constant defeat.

Something in me is determined to stay within a few pounds of my weight. Even though I eat well, exercise 5-6 days a week, and am disciplined regarding high calorie foods, the pounds persist.

This whole battle is similar to battling sin. David was determined to be quiet when he wrote this:

I said, “I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence.” (Psalm 39:1)
The next few verses say that the harder he tried to be quiet, the more frustrated he became. He could not contain himself and had to speak.

I understand the part about the harder he tried, the less he could accomplish his goal. This is a metaphor for the struggle to live as a Christian should. I too easily slip into “I will . . .” and into using my own strength.

Spiritual disciplines do have value, but salvation is by grace through faith. That means that I don’t save myself from sin; God does it. I cannot save myself from temptation also, and say no to temptation. This covers everything from speaking when I should be quiet to avoiding 2-3 chocolate cupcakes, but this does not happen without God’s grace.

Temptation can be avoided, but I cannot do it without help. In fact, the Bible continually warns me about thinking I can do such things on my own. In a passage from the New Testament, Paul describes how Old Testament believers tested the Lord. The outcome was not good. I need to pay attention to their story; the same thing could happen to me.

We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents, nor grumble, as some of them did and were destroyed by the Destroyer. Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come. Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:9–13)
Whether the temptation is to talk when I should shut up, or be silent when God wants me to speak, or eat when I should say no, or say no when I should take nourishment, I need to be aware of several truths.

One is that I cannot even know the difference between obeying God and obeying my sinful desires apart from His grace and the work of the Holy Spirit in me. I need Him for discernment in every area of life.

Two, my efforts at self-discipline will always lead to frustration or pride. If I think I am improving and winning my battles, I also begin leaving grace and the power of God out of those disciples, setting myself up for failure. God will not share the throne of my heart, not even with me.

Third, I need diligence, but not self-effort. The diligence necessary to success in an eating/exercise plan is to keep my eyes on my source of strength and willpower. For Christians, this is not self, but Jesus Christ. He is the way of escape that God provides! When my focus turns to how well I am doing (or not), I stop trusting Him, His strength evaporates — and I am left with my own feeble efforts.

*****

Lord, I can no more govern what I eat and drink without Your grace than I can speak about You to others, or be silent at Your commands. I need You and Your grace to do everything. On my own, I waver and go off target. My resolve easily turns to jelly. When I trip and fall, I determine to try harder instead of remembering that trying harder never works. You ask me to trust in You, to rest in Your care, to believe in You and the grace that You give, and to rely on You for everything. I’m such a slow learner. The only good thing about failing is that it makes the prospect of perfection in eternity even more appealing.

No comments: