March 27, 2011

Nothing is too big – or too small for God

There are people (I’m not one of them) who will not pray because they do not want to bother God. I’m not sure that I understand this view of God. Is He uncaring? Too busy? Unable? Perhaps the person has other issues and feels unworthy to approach God? Or what they really want is too difficult for Him?
When Jesus was in the district of Tyre and Sidon, a Canaanite woman came to Him crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.”

Jesus didn’t answer. His disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.”

He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

The woman knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.”

He answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.”

She replied, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.”

Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly. (Matthew 15:21–28)
Spurgeon says this woman thought of Jesus as “one who kept so good a table that all that she needed would only be a crumb in comparison.” However, she wanted more than a crumb; she wanted the devil cast out of her daughter. Yet even such a request was small because of her estimation of Jesus. It was even nothing, like a crumb from His table.

Spurgeon says this is the “royal road to comfort.” This is also the attitude to have toward God. No prayer is too large or too small for Him. He created the universe and all things. He is infinitely powerful and tells us to bring our requests to Him. And if we doubt that He cares, has He not already proven that?

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:31–32)
When it comes to asking forgiveness for sin, some may think their sins are too great — but it is nothing to Jesus to take them all away. Sin and guilt can seem gigantic to us, but are no more than a speck of dust to Him. He has already borne the full penalty of all sin of all time on the Cross. It is a small thing for Him to forgive our sin, even though it is a huge blessing for us.
*****
Lord, keep me from ever thinking that I cannot come to You. You are eager to give me even crumbs, if that is all I need, yet Your Word promises more than that. Someday I will sit with You at a great banquet, a feast like nothing I’ve ever experienced here. Until that day, You delight in handing out appetizers and even call me to “taste and see that the Lord is good.”

Also, keep me from thinking my problems are too trivial or too large to “bother” You with. You have already died for me. Anything else that I ask is nothing compared to Calvary and what You have already done.

No comments: