March 10, 2011

The Giver not the gift

This week we decided to add some improvements to our home. I’ve been excited because one of those involves moving my desk into its own room, giving me space to have my sewing all in one place. However, work is involved. Clearing that room for new flooring and then the desk is going to take days.

Work isn’t the only thing involved. God warns me to remember where my joy comes from. It is not from being able to do this, or from having the funds to pay for it. Israel’s King David wrote this:

As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” By your favor, O LORD, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed. To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper! You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever! (Psalm 30:6–12)
David had his high moments, but also great discouragements. When he was doing well, he thought he’d always be okay because it was God who gave him his prosperity. Yet prosperity is a test.

In David’s case, God hid His face. When that happens to me, it does not matter if I have money or my life is prosperous. Instead, I feel as if I am dying. For David, that could have been literal. For me, it is that terrible sense of not having any purpose for living. Without sensing that God is with me, I despair. Nothing can cheer me. All joy has vanished.

Spurgeon says also to “beware of the smooth places of the way; if you are treading them, or if the way be rough, thank God for it. If God should always rock us in the cradle of prosperity; if we were always dandled on the knees of fortune; if we had not some stain on the alabaster pillar; if there were not a few clouds in the sky; if we had not some bitter drops in the wine of this life, we should become intoxicated with pleasure, we should dream “we stand” and stand we should, but it would be upon a pinnacle; like the man asleep upon the mast, each moment we should be in jeopardy.”

He is so right. While I can be happy that things go well, I need to always remember that having my heart right is more important that having my house remodeled or even money in the bank. If my relationship with the Lord is the way it should be, He can hide His face and I will know that this too shall pass. He promises to never leave me or forsake me. I remember those promises when my focus is on Him.

*****

God, I am not mature enough to bless You for my afflictions, but I do understand why I need them. It is in trials that You change me and make me more like Jesus. When I feel too secure, I too easily turn away from You. My devotional reading says that continued worldly prosperity is a fiery trial. I know it is okay to be thankful for all that You have blessed me with, but please keep me alert. Rather than getting too close to that fire, I’d rather stay close to You.

No comments: