February 14, 2011

An ongoing provision for a prisoner

Our January vacation blessed me in several ways. The simplicity was lovely. Except for being in a spacious villa with all conveniences except a telephone, this holiday was something like camping. Basic dishes, basic meals (when we didn’t eat out) and no schedule. I got up early so I could be on the same mealtimes as my golfing husband, but had no pressures at all. I kept busy, but it was not like home with my endless to-do lists.

Because of that peaceful situation, I have a deeper appreciation for the Lord’s provision and for being able to talk to Him often, particularly at each change of pace or activity. While this is not yet perfected, it seems to be much easier. Now the pressures of those to-do lists are not a distraction as much as it is a reminder. The busyness of home has deepened the value of “praying without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Tonight’s reading from Spurgeon focuses on a similar thought. He uses this Old Testament passage about a Hebrew king who was taken captive and imprisoned in Babylon.

And in the thirty-seventh year of the exile of Jehoiachin king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the twenty-seventh day of the month, Evil-merodach king of Babylon, in the year that he began to reign, graciously freed Jehoiachin king of Judah from prison. And he spoke kindly to him and gave him a seat above the seats of the kings who were with him in Babylon. So Jehoiachin put off his prison garments. And every day of his life he dined regularly at the king’s table, and for his allowance, a regular allowance was given him by the king, according to his daily needs, as long as he lived. (2 Kings 25:27–30)
The experience of this man is an illustration of my daily life with my King, the Lord God of all creation. Like Jehoiachin, I too have been set free from prison, only I was held captive by sin. My King removed my old garments of selfishness and gave me a new robe of righteousness, the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Because of His graciousness, I now am able “to put off my old self, which belongs to my former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and be renewed in the spirit of my mind, and put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:22–24, personalized).

Like Evil-merodach spoke to Jehoiachin, my new King speaks kindly to me. As Jehoiachin was given an exalted place to sit, my King also has seated me in a place above all the kings of this world.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 2:4–6)
Jehoiachin was taken care of, and so am I. My King invites me to spend each day of my life at His table, feasting on the daily bread that He provides. For the rest of my days, He will supply all that I need. 
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
I cannot find a reason for the way the king of Babylon treated his prisoner. This mercy was unusual. In the same way, there are no reasons that my King has been so gracious to me, other than He is merciful. 
He saved me, not because of works done by me in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on me richly through Jesus Christ my Savior. (Titus 3:5-6, personalized)
No wonder that more and more I want to sit at His table and talk to Him all the time as I serve Him. He takes care of all my needs and blesses me each day of my life.

No comments: