February 21, 2011

He has said . . .

Retirement dinners sometimes include a “roast” where co-workers make fun of the retiree. However, the last one we went to was not like that. This man was honored for his integrity and for being a good man, both at his job and in the way he treated others.

Another much admired trait is faithfulness. People want others to keep their word. When someone says they will do something, we hope they will do it, not forget it, neglect it, or get too busy. We want their word to be dependable.

The focus for today’s devotional is that God keeps His Word. When He makes a promise, He keeps it. When He says He will do something, He does it. 

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:5–6)
God says He will never leave me or forsake me. He will continually be with me, yet this is more than constant companionship. When God is with me and promises to never forsake me, He is promising to also take care of my needs and help me with whatever I do. He can be depended upon because He keeps His Word.

The writer of Hebrews makes a connection to God’s promises and being afraid of what people can do to him. I’m trying to think of how that works. What can people do that I might be afraid of? Physical harm? Emotional damage? Spiritual attacks? Yes, these and more.

For years, I was afraid of rejection. I’ve had my share and don’t like it or want more of it. However, because God is with me and will never reject me (I am accepted because of Jesus Christ), I will never be totally outcast, even if everyone I know turns their back on me. As difficult as that would be, God would still be with me. I’ve learned that His presence seems the most near and real in the greatest difficulties and challenges. Besides, rejection isn’t the end of the world.

Ridicule for failure can also be hurtful, but these verses promise that God will help me. When I rely on Him, failure isn’t in the equation, but even if I do fail, He is here with me to pick me up and help me start over. That is far more encouragement than possessed by those without God’s help.

Money is mentioned. I suppose people could take away my money and all that I have. Yet everything comes from the hand of my sovereign God. If I need it, He will supply it. I do not have to be afraid of losing my possessions either.

This week I saw a “quote of the day” on a website that mocked the US president. It said, “What the president says on Monday is true on Wednesday, no matter what happened on Tuesday.”

Apart from the reality that most of us are stubborn about our opinions and what we think is true,  this quote could be a blessing if it were worded like this: “What the Lord Jesus Christ says on Monday is true on Wednesday no matter what happens on Tuesday.”

Better yet: “What the Lord Jesus Christ says in His Word was true then, is true now, and will be true forever, no matter what anyone else says or does.”

Because He is 100% faithful to His Word, I can confidently count on Him to be with me and take care of all my needs, both now and for the rest of my life.

No comments: