January 26, 2011

Wonder and awe

While driving today, I began thinking again about all that God has done for me. He saved me. I wonder why me? How amazing is His grace. As I thought of it, my heart was filled with awe. Nothing changed externally. I was not singing nor praying, but struck silent with the marvel that the Creator of the universe should send His Son to die for me.
And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. (Luke 2:18–19)
Tonight’s devotional reading describes what happened to me today, and again I am in awe of the way You align my circumstances with Your words. Just as Mary treasured in her heart the events of her life, I also ponder and treasure the goodness of You.

Spurgeon’s words are more than one hundred years old, beautiful but strange to modern ears. Writing them in my words brings home the delight of worshiping You and having You affirm the wonder that fills in my heart.

I must never cease to wonder at the marvel of You. I cannot draw a line between holy wonder and genuine worship. When my soul is overwhelmed with the majesty of Your glory, even though I do not express it in song, or bow my head in humble prayer, yet this wonder simply and silently adores You.

You are to be worshiped as wonderful. You considered this fallen creature when You could have easily swept me away in destruction. You undertook to be my Redeemer and to pay my ransom. How incredibly marvelous!

As my mind considered earlier today, I again think of Your great redemption. What a miracle of grace that Jesus should forsake the throne and royalty above to suffer ignominiously below — for me. My soul loses itself in wonder. Then wonder becomes a practical emotion. It leads me to grateful worship and heartfelt thanksgiving. It causes in me a godly watchfulness. I do not want to sin against such a love as You have shown to me.

Feeling Your presence in the gift of Your dear Son puts me on holy ground. You move me to great hope — since Jesus has done such a great thing for me, heaven itself is not too great for my expectation. How can I be astonished at anything after being astonished at the manger and the cross? What wonder is left after seeing Your dear face?

I feel that far too often I fail to imitate the shepherds of Bethlehem who told others what they had seen and heard. However, I can more easily be like Mary and join all those who worship You before Your throne, treasuring You in my heart and being in awe of all that You have done.

No comments: