January 7, 2011

To stay or to go?

River Dundee
After our last trip over, I discovered the names and addresses of my living relatives in Scotland. It was too late to find them and meet them face to face, but with email and letters, I became instantly fond of them, particularly Wilma. Not much older than I, she seemed vibrant and full of life. I received word this morning that she died suddenly — yesterday.

All day I’ve thought of her. How I wanted to meet her. I even found her home on Google Earth and peeked into her back yard. Now it is too late. This makes me sad and I miss her, even though I didn’t really know her.

Life is precious, Jesus. We are here but a moment. For part of the day, I thought of all the ways a person could suddenly die. Heart, stroke, car accident, stepping unaware into traffic, somewhat morbid thoughts. Tonight You give me these verses to think about too.

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. (Philippians 1:21–24)
Paul had a long and fruitful ministry. He knew that You could take him to heaven at any time. He debated. It would be okay to stay and continue with his ministry. He was an incredible blessing to others. But he really wanted to be with Christ. He knew that being with You would be far better than even the best of living in this world.

I’m with him in thinking that way, but not every day. There is so much to do here. For me, it used to be the things that I wanted to accomplish, but now I see how much needs to be done toward building Your kingdom. I know You are able to do it without me, yet the challenges beckon.

I don’t know if Wilma was a believer. You know and You also know if I will see her in eternity, a far better meeting place than even the green hills of Dundee. But I may not ever get to meet her in that better place. As I think about eternity and my family and friends, one of the things that presses on my heart is to do what I can to make sure that each of them knows about You and has an opportunity to say yes to Your wonderful offer of eternal life.

Yes, I’d like to be with You face to face, but remaining here has value too. Paul talked about choosing, but he and I both know that we cannot make that choice. Thankfully, the decision and the timing is up to You. So also are the opportunities that You give me to serve You here and now. May they be many, and may I be faithful with each one.

No comments: