January 30, 2011

Rest in Him

After four days of driving, some of it through nasty weather, I am so glad to be home. Yet getting groceries, unpacking, putting things away, making supper, then sorting a month’s mail and email almost did me in. Not only that, the simplicity of holidays in a large vacation rental, culminating with an ungraded hotel room last night (the hotel was full of basketball players so they gave us an enormous suite for regular room price) made my household seem far too complicated. Too much to-do and too much stuff.

At the beginning of this month, I wondered about using Spurgeon’s devotional as a guide this year. The very first day, it seemed You were saying that You would use the food You gave Charles Spurgeon to feed me. I now realize that You are doing just that. Each day, this man’s writings point me to Jesus in a way that fits with my experiences and blesses my heart. 

And the dove came back to him in the evening, and behold, in her mouth was a freshly plucked olive leaf. (Genesis 8:11)
This is the dove Noah released from the ark after the rain stopped. He wanted to know if the flood waters had subsided. Spurgeon sees the dove as a symbol himself and some of his own experiences. As I read what he said, I could see that too.

He blessed You for another day of mercy even though he was totally spent from the day’s events, much like a dove that had flown all day. However, just as the dove found no rest out of the ark, and therefore returned to it, he also learned that there is no satisfaction found “out there” in earthly things. Only in returning to the ark of God could he find rest for his spirit. “Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you” (Psalm 116:7).

Tonight, as the day comes to a close, I can identify with the weary dove coming back to the master. I need You and I must return to You. Sleep is vital for the body, but You alone can refresh my soul.

Like the dove could not endure hovering over the restless waters, I could not spend another minute with the complexities and long lists of things that must be done. I need to be with You and receive the peace of heart that You offer to the weary.

Spurgeon (I’m beginning to adore this man) also noted that the dove did not merely light upon the roof of the ark, she “came to him.” He saw in this how his own longing spirit was not satisfied with anything less than deep intimacy with You. The image of that dove fluttering to her master’s hand is exactly how I feel tonight. I’ve been “flapping” but now it is time to let You support my tired body and mind.

As for the olive branch, Spurgeon sees that as a memorial of the past day, and a prophecy of the future. Some might say that this application takes a leap, but it is based on Spurgeon’s vast experience of following You. Along with him, I also am reminded to bring You an olive branch. This symbolizes thankful offerings for Your mercies today: a wonderful place to sleep the night, eventual clear roads, safe travel, a good supper, and our warm home. You have blessed me today. I also need to look ahead, not only renewing my desire to serve You in the days to come, but also knowing that You will give me all I need to deal with the complexities of tomorrow.

Today’s reading ends with a prayer of gratitude for Your tender mercies that are fresh every day, and a request that You will put forth Your hand and take Your dove into Your bosom. To this I respond with the same gratitude and with the same request. Thank You and amen!

No comments: