January 20, 2011

Grace more amazing

Thinking about myself as dead to sin and alive to God clarifies what it means to abide in Christ. Last Sunday’s illustration of the dad teaching his tot how to swing a bat sticks in my mind, continually reminding me that I am like a glove, and Lord, You are the hand.

Tonight’s verses are another reminder of how much I depend on You. Apart from You, what would I be?

Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart. Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways. (Psalm 119:33–37)
If You didn’t teach me, I would be wholly ignorant of spiritual matters, and no doubt many other matters. You open my mind and heart so that I understand your ways. You lead me to know how to obey them and give me strength so that I can follow through. Without You, I would be a rebellious and selfish sinner.

Besides that, You help me delight in your commands. So many times I’ve heard people say that being a Christian would mean no fun at all. They have no idea how much joy You give. This delight is for Your people, a wonderful gift from the hand in the glove. Without this joy, I would grumble at every command and resent all that You ask of me.

The psalmist asks you to incline his heart to Your truths. Delighting in them is an amazing grace, but turning toward them instead of looking out for myself is also an amazing grace. I cannot claim any credit for wanting to know You or Your Word. You put all of this in my heart.

As for my part, I’ve often said that at least I can say “no” to trouble and sin, but these verses contradict that too. The ability to turn from sin is Your work as well. The psalmist asks You to turn his eyes from evil. You know that I cannot do that myself. For example, the temptation of watching television when my time could be put to better use is too much for me, particularly when I am tired. I need you to turn my eyes from looking at all worthless things. Even knowing that I need to do that, and even asking You to help me is of You. I’d never want this apart from Your grace and the work of the Holy Spirit in me.

You continually give me life in Your ways. Anything else is dead, useless, without value in this life or for eternity. You teach me to crave You and Your work in my heart. For this I am filled with joy and overwhelmed with Your amazing grace.

No comments: