November 23, 2010

To Live is Christ — trusting others to His grace

Yesterday morning before nine, I received news that a first cousin had died. I’d been praying for him several months. He had cancer and had been in severe pain. I prayed about that, but also that God would make Himself real to this man. I’d not known him well, or even seen him for years. Not knowing his spiritual condition put an urgency in my prayers.

Today’s verses are not about salvation. They are about Christians who need to persevere in their faith and in fellowship with one another. We need it. The Bible says that we grieve when someone dies, but not the same way as those “who have no hope.” In our sorrows, our Christian family provides much understanding and comfort.

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. (Hebrews 10:23–25)
The last part of this passage uses a term, “the Day” which usually refers to the return of Jesus Christ. However, those who do not live to see the Second Coming will also experience “the Day” when they must face God after they die. I cannot imagine the horror and fear in a heart that has no assurance of where they stand with God.

This passage refers to the confession of a Christian hope. My hope is in the promises of God and His provision for my salvation. Jesus died to take my punishment for sin. He rose from the dead, showing me that He has power over death. He is eternal life, but also lives in my heart and says, “He who has the Son has life.”

I believe that and hold fast to it, not because I have any merit or means to gain favor with God and eternal life, but because He is faithful. Those who believe in His Son will not perish.

Attending church and getting together with other Christians puts me in a good place. There I am encouraged to love others and obey God. The more the world looks like it is ready for Jesus to come again, the closer I want to be to Him. His people help me do that.

I’ve wondered how those without that amazing hope can face the end of their lives. Do they panic? Are they filled with dread? Are some in denial right to the end? Or are most simply oblivious? I don’t want any of that for anyone. For that reason, I prayed that God would make Himself known to my cousin and somehow help him be aware of the grace available to him. I wanted him to be aware of Jesus. I prayed that he could cross the threshold from this life to the next knowing that His Savior was there waiting for him.

My hope also includes the reality of a God who answers prayer. On this earth I have no assurance at all about my cousin except that his sister said he was kind and peaceful for the past few days. Was that because the Holy Spirit assured him of forgiveness and eternal life? I do not know.

However, I hold fast to the confession of my hope for him. This is not because of what I can see, or “hope so,” or can imagine, but because of God. He promises to hear and answer my prayers — and He is a faithful and merciful God.

No comments: