July 9, 2010

To Live is Christ — using a full swing

Those who study spiritual gifts tell me that my particular strengths are characterized by a willingness to let God show me my sin. This is good, but with my gifts also comes a negative tendency; once I understand what is wrong and confess it, I figure my knowledge and confession are enough. Taking action doesn’t happen as easily. In other words, my spiritual life is a little bit like my golf game. I can hit it straight, but the ball would go a lot farther if my swing ended with a better follow-through.

This morning, my devotional verses are about chastening and obedience. While no one likes being disciplined, God says it is a good thing.

You should know in your heart that as a man chastens his son, so the Lord your God chastens you. Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him. (Deuteronomy 8:5–6)
With correction, God intends obedience. However, I’m aware that my willingness to receive His discipline is not shared by everyone. This idea is repeated later in the Old Testament . . . 
My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor detest His correction; for whom the Lord loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights. (Proverbs 3:11–12)
This time God reminds me of what I used to tell my children. “If I didn’t love you, I would not care what you do or want you to make good choices.” Discipline is one way God expresses love and His desire that I grow to maturity and become a godly person.

The next passage that I read is in the New Testament, one that often encourages me when God is disciplining me, or when I see another Christian experiencing His correction. As it repeats, we don’t like it, but because of God’s intentions, I am glad that this is part of my Christian experience.

If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. (Hebrews 12:7–11)
The results of God’s discipline are good. I am glad that His Word rebukes and corrects me. However, in reading through the Bible each year, I happened to read this verse today: “A servant cannot be corrected by mere words; though he understands, he will not respond” (Proverbs 29:19). Beside this text, I’d written a note referring to another passage in Hebrews. It says . . . 
During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered. (Hebrews 5:7–8)
My note says, “If Jesus needed trials to learn, so much more do I.” The frustrating part and typical of me is that I don’t remember writing this. Nevertheless, this is great encouragement. Whatever trials may come my way, I already know are controlled by the sovereign power of God. I also know that He loves me and wants the best for me, the “best” being that I become like His Son. So to live is Christ means embracing trials for what God is using them for in my life.

It would be nice to learn all that I need from reading the Bible. However, Proverbs 29:19 will not let me rest there. Hearing and understanding Him is not enough. Confession sin is not enough either. To live is Christ means responding to both the Word of God and the sufferings of life with a full swing — that includes obedience. 

No comments: