April 29, 2010

To Live is Christ — keeping my word, exalting His Name

The devotional reading asks, “What is the difference between swearing and cursing?”The question comes from this passage, 
But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one. (Matthew 5:34–37)
In the Old Testament, two Hebrew words were translated oath. One means making a solemn promise. The second one is a stronger word that pronounces a curse. That is, an oath is said with, “I will keep my promise no matter what.” However, an oath is also given when someone says, “Go to heck,” as a negative and judgmental appeal for God to inflict harm.

In the Old Testament, people reinforcing their oaths by invoking Yahweh to witness them, as in “By God, I will do this. . . .” However, those who did this placed themselves under a curse if they didn’t do it. Their oath was said to have been sworn deceitfully.

When Jesus came, the practice of making of oaths had deteriorated to the point where people swore by an object, such as the temple, so they would be absolved of any curse should they not keep their vow. Often they had no intention of keeping it anyway. It was this oath-taking that Jesus condemned.

As for the difference between swearing and cursing, this is a bit muddled these days. If the Lord’s Name is used in vain, this is called blasphemy, swearing or cursing.  If someone seals a promise or makes a vow, this is called swearing (usually on a Bible etc.). If someone pronounces doom or says they want evil to happen to another, this is called cursing. I’m thinking that no matter the correct meaning of these words, Jesus doesn’t want me to do any of them.

I’m not to blaspheme. His Name is precious and holy. I’ve no reason to use it in a vain way, nor do I have any right to curse Him. Even writing such words makes me cringe. God is God and I am nothing. He is gracious to me. I know the power of His Name and I dare not misuse it.

I’m not to make vows and use His Name (or any other name) as an endorsement on my vow. He does not give me the authority or the right to use His Name that way. He wants me to be a person of my word. If I make a promise, or say I will do something, I’m supposed to do it.  I don’t need endorsements. I just need to keep my word — as He does.

I cannot curse other people or things because I am in no position to decide the fate of anyone or anything. This is God’s business, not mine.

All that being said, several times Paul said that God was his witness. This was allowed, but only in one way. Paul could not demean God or use His Name improperly.  Nevertheless, he could say that God was his witness and would put His stamp of approval on all the good things He had done in Paul’s life. 

For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers. (Romans 1:9)
Other than giving Him glory, I cannot use His Name in any other way. I say with the psalmist, “Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His Name together” (Psalm 34:3), and with the writer of Hebrews, “Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His Name” (Hebrews 13:15).

No comments: