September 24, 2009

What shall I wear today?


Every morning I go into my closet and make a decision. What will I put on? Of course, the decision depends on the day. Will I be hoeing weeds? Do I have an appointment? Will friends be coming for supper?

This morning, God reminds me that I’ve another choice about what I will put on. In the following verses, the Greek word is literally ‘to sink or plunge into a garment.’ In other words, I’m to jump right in, not casually put them on, but do it with intention and enthusiasm.

Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. (Colossians 3:12-14)
To obey these verses means making a conscious choice to be tenderly merciful, kind, humble, meek, patient, forgiving and loving toward others. That Greek word, to plunge in, might cause some to say that this means ‘falling in love’ but no one falls into the other virtues. Each one of them, including love, is a choice.

Because Christ lives in me, I can choose to be patient. I’ve noticed this time and again while driving in heavy traffic. If someone cuts me off, or won’t let me into the lane, or is going too slow or too fast, Christ offers me His attitude instead of mine — patience. The choice is easy because impatience changes nothing and only raises my blood pressure.

Being merciful and kind require the same choice. For many people, it is easier to become angry, or simply ignore those who need kindness, but a Christian can choose these virtues.

Humility is a bit tougher. I struggle with pride. I want to do well and make a good impression. I don’t want to look bad, but humility is not about putting myself down or looking bad. It is more about not thinking of me at all. This decision is more difficult, but not impossible. Because of Jesus, I can focus on others.

Choosing love is not impossible either. I can do that, particularly in the big things. If someone is hurting or in need, I can put aside ‘me’ and care for them. It’s the little things that reveal my propensity for selfishness. 


For instance, in my love is tested when my spouse puts the tea pot away in the wrong place and I search for ten minutes trying to find it. It is tested when the telephone rings and I am in the middle of something (as if I’m never in the middle of something). It is tested when I invite family and they are too busy to come.

Most of the time, making the choice to love (or not) is a habit. I’m thinking that the habit of selecting something to wear each morning could be a good reminder to select the virtues that I will also plunge myself into for the day. These verses have just become a poster to hang in my closet! 


Photo credit

No comments: