September 23, 2009

Hoarding is unnecessary

My strongest childhood influence regarding money was a thrifty father with Scottish blood in his veins and almost comical methods of making every penny count. Now I am being influenced by my heavenly Father who says that He will supply all my needs. If I believe Him, then when someone needs something that I have, I can give it to them because God will take care of me.

Sounds easy. It is not, and I am often tested. I tend to hang on rather than release, to use caution rather than slavish generosity. I want to help people, but old habits of being thrifty die hard.

Today’s verse is about love. The words used to describe God’s giving of it are important.

Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5)
Those words “poured out in” are sometimes translated “shed abroad” but literally they say “poured forth” or even “poured through.” However it comes out in English, the love of God is made available, copiously diffused, a total overflow — so that I have more than enough to share with others.

Theoretically, this sets me free from any anxiety about being loved by others. I should not have to worry if I am honored, respected, considered, or cared about. In practice, the theory is good, but the learning is difficult, perhaps because the need is so basic.

However, this verse about love offers a principle that also applies to money, forgiveness, any good blessing from God. The question becomes, “Will I trust Him?” He says that He will meet all my needs. Do I believe Him?

That is so practical. Trusting God for all things sets the human heart free from anxiety. Jesus even said, “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:31-33).

My part is trust. I’m also to set my sights on those things that are pertinent to the kingdom of God, such as spiritual maturity, behaving as a righteous person, thinking and talking like Jesus Christ. When I do seek those things, Jesus says that I can enjoy God’s provision for every other need, even to the point that whatever He gives, I can give it away because His supply is endless.

This promise from Matthew brings me back to the one in Romans. If I am seeking God’s righteousness, I will be seeking to be a loving person and guess what? He is the source of that too. No matter if my ‘love tank’ is low or a shelf is bare, trusting God means that neither will stay that way. If He sees that I need it, He will fill it, and if I see that someone else needs it, I can give it away knowing that God will fill it up again simply because He said He would.

No comments: