September 17, 2009

Be like my Father

People have told me that I look like my mother. I’m okay with that, but I really hope someday someone will tell me that I am also a bit like my father.

My dad was a creative, open-hearted individual who worked hard and enjoyed leisure. He liked most people, but because of his strong work ethic, he had little patience with slackers. He loved to tease and be teased and was well-liked by all his friends.

I have another Father. Even before my earthly father passed away and left me an orphan, my heavenly Father adopted me as His child. He invites me to love Him, bring my problems to Him, and consider Him the source of all that I need. He even asks that I become like Him. Jesus described how to do that.

But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. (Matthew 5:44-45)
As great as my own dad was, this is a higher standard. My heavenly Father actually wants me to want the very best for those who wish the worst on me. There is no room for dislike, saying bad things, or going beyond words to any type of vengeance, retaliation, or bad treatment toward anyone. Instead, I’m to want the best for all and be good to everyone, no exclusions.

I’m not sure if I have enemies. Whatever anyone does against me is not visible. However, the past couple of days I’ve come across those who hate or scorn Christianity, or Jesus Christ, or the lofty biblical principles that I believe. My response, at least in my heart, is not love. I feel animosity and even anger toward some of those people. Does that make them my enemies too?

Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame — who set their mind on earthly things. (Philippians 3:17-19)
These verses could justify thinking that I should hate those who hate Christ, but Paul talked about them with weeping! His heart reflected the heart of God who “demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. . . . For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life” (Romans 5:8, 10).

Because of sin, every person is an enemy of God, yet God sent Jesus to die for every person. His heart is open to His enemies. This open heart is what He wants for me.

In Luke 6:35-36, Jesus says it again: “But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful”

I’ve been unthankful, even without mercy, yet God demonstrated His love and mercy for me by making me His child and continues to show it by His great patience. Besides the example He sets, He gives me all that I need to think and act like Him. I have no excuses.

No comments: