August 24, 2007

Light dispels Darkness

Why are some critters attracted to light and others hide from it? Many insects are drawn to a flame or electric light, but some make a mad scramble for darkness if you lift up their rock and expose them. Could it be that those who hide are so accustomed to the dark that any light is actually painful?

People can be that way. John 3:16 is well-known, yet what Jesus said in verses 18-22 is as profound. “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

This light and its power is connected to Jesus. He said, “I am the Light of the world.” He also said, “I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). Jesus is the source of light and truth, and is the only way to God and eternal life.

People, at least most of them, will accept talk about God. They will discuss morals and values and being ‘good’ people. But mention the name of Jesus, and something happens. Like light shone into a garden, some will be drawn to Him, but others love their darkness so much that they will flee into silence, anger, or even physically move their ears as far away as they can get. They somehow sense the power behind that incredible light.

For those who “do the truth” and “come to the light” we discover something quite remarkable in Jesus’ words. It is not us who can claim credit for hating the darkness. Even my attraction to the light, the Light that is Jesus Christ, is not from me; that deed has “been done in God.”

Maybe I’m not awake enough this morning to express the significance of this light-darkness reality, but I am alert enough to appreciated and understand what David says in Psalm 36:7-9. “How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings. They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house, and You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures. For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light.”

Literally and because of His light, this day my eyes can see God in His creation. Figuratively and because of His light, the eyes of my heart can see the truth about Him and about me, not because I’m anything special but because by His light He has given me light. I know I am a sinner who, apart from Him, cannot crawl out from under my rock. I also know that although He pointed His revealing light at me, God has put me under the shadow of His wings and taken care of me. Otherwise I would run and hide, maybe even be destroyed by the blinding power of the Light that is Jesus Christ.

No comments: