August 1, 2007

The Aroma of Heaven

This morning I’ve a loaf of bread rising in the kitchen, and even before it is baked, the aroma drifts upstairs to tantalize me. When I see that my verse for today is Revelation 21:18, I wonder what heaven will smell like?

This verse tells a bit of what it will look like: “The construction of its wall was of jasper (Greek word is diamonds), and the city was pure gold, like clear glass.” The passage adds the brilliance of jewels and the glory of God that will fill this place, but my imagination is still limited. Is this a literal description? Or is the Bible describing this heavenly city using the most precious elements that we know here on earth? And what about smell?

I think about a statement Paul made in 1 Corinthians 2:9, a quote from Isaiah 64:4, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

Most Christians think that is about heaven, but my study Bible suggests it is not about heaven at all, but refers to the wisdom God has prepared for believers, that God’s truth is not discovered by eye or ear (objective, empirical evidence) or by the mind (subjective, rational conclusions). Instead it is ‘revealed’ to us by the Holy Spirit.

Maybe so, but I’m thinking since heaven is part of the truth of God, and we don’t really know what it looks like (or smells like), why not assume that this verse is true for the place God has prepared for us as well as the wisdom we need to live here before we get there?

So rather than imagine the sights and smells, I can only go by what God reveals. His Word mentions heaven many times, but most of its description is in Revelation. Chapter 21 is about the “New Jerusalem” or the city that will come down from wherever it is now and become part of the new heaven and new earth that will replace this one, which is passing away.

In this immense city, God ‘tabernacles’ with His people. He will “wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

God also promises that in this new city, He “will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.”

This is highly appealing to me, and some days I can hardly wait, but I have a cousin who says, “I don’t want to go to heaven; I want to party with all my friends.”

He might be talking about those people that God will exclude from this golden city. Verse 8 says, “But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Sorry, Cuz, but this doesn’t sound like much of a party!

I’d rather be in this heavenly city, but even though it is walled with diamonds, adorned with precious stones like emeralds and amethyst, and gated with pearls, I’m not that much into gemstones. Heaven’s appeal for me is mostly in Chapter 22:3-5, “There shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him. They shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads. There shall be no night there: they need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever.”

This still doesn’t say anything about smell, but because all things abominable are excluded, I’m convinced this place will not only look spectacular, but have the best food, the clearest water, and be a feast for all my senses.

May God change my cousin’s heart so that he also will want to be there in that place. There all sensory delights will be totally surpassed by the privilege of gazing into the beautiful face of the One that enables “whosoever will” to anticipate and eventually experience such an awesome eternal destiny.

1 comment:

Peterwf said...

Thanks Elsie, it is a lovely reminder of why a smile and a peace came over my first wife as she died.
She had been ill with cancer that had gone to her bones, so the release from pain would have been wonderful.

God bless you