April 21, 2007

Nothing is too hard for God!

My neighbors are picking me up early this morning for an all-day seminar. I got up early, but still prayed a quick prayer for a quick word. God is patient with me. He gave me something short and sweet and totally wonderful to think about all day, a well-know truth, and precious.

Romans 8 introduces what one commentator calls “the staggering results of Paul’s teaching in the first seven chapters.” Salvation is by faith alone on the basis of God’s incredible grace, so “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus . . . for the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.”

The condemnation is: “By the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight” and “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” and “The wages of sin is death.”

The Spirit of life is: “ . . . being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” and “ . . . the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Every sin is paid for, past, present, or future. God will not hold any of it against me in condemnation because Christ paid my penalty and God imputed His righteousness to me. This is a divine legal decision that not only set me free from sin and death, but changed my nature and gives me the power to overcome, to conquer sin and live for Him. In Him, I have freedom and victory.

Amazing how the truth and the reality of being “in Christ” can pull my slumping heart into confidence and affirm my knowledge that God has already maxed out His giving in saving me, so helping me with whatever this day brings will be a very simple thing.

No comments: