October 12, 2006

God speaks, everyone resists. . .

Every trouble in the world that I can think of is a direct or indirect result of disobedience to God. While that seems like hyperbole, I don’t think so. If the daily news isn’t convincing enough, both the Old and New Testament teach that the human race is a prisoner of sin. Sin is defined simply as “going our own way” instead of God’s way. In other words, if God says something, most of humanity will do the opposite.

To be specific, this morning I realized afresh why nearly everyone complains about the government and resists authority. In Acts 23, Paul is arrested and hauled before the Jewish religious leaders. When given opportunity to speak, he says, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.”

Of course they reacted. The high priest ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. Paul reacted, “God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!”

But he didn’t realize this was the high priest. When someone told him, he instantly apologized, “Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: ‘Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.’”

Paul quoted Exodus, but Scripture has plenty of other passages about the governing authorities being in place by God’s design. Clearly God wants everyone to respect them and do what they say. Christians are also told to submit to the authorities, both in the church and in government. We are to pray for them “that we might lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and holiness” (1 Timothy 2)

Instead, most of us choose to complain about, or even resist, authority. As I think about that, I wonder how I can think I am obeying God if I won’t obey speed limits or other traffic laws? How can I be thankful to God about everything if I am griping about people in leadership of the government that He has ordained to rule over me?

Also, and even more sobering, are the times I drive too fast any different in the eyes of God than other violations that put people in jail or in the hospital? After all, sin is sin. My attitude of disdain for a government official or their actions is only different by degree from the attitude of those who form mobs and violently protest or make bombs. I’m sure God does not measure sin in degrees.

Submission to God means accepting His sovereign decisions. I may not like what is happening in this world, but I must take my protests to Him in intercession and giving of thanks, and support His choice of authority. If I instead raise my voice or even my fist, then I’m not part of the solution but part of the problem.

No comments: