October 16, 2006

Distracted by the medium and missing the message

“Christian life has become sub-normal to the point that if one person lives as God intends, that person is held up as a super-saint.”

I don’t know who said it, but it convicts me. God’s standards are high, but not impossible. Most of the time, I settle for ‘good enough’ rather than pressing on to at least normal.

This morning I’m thinking what my devotional time with God used to be like before computers, electronic Bibles, and blogs. Imagine my surprise to read this from Jeremiah 6: “This is what the LORD says: ‘Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.’ But you said, ‘We will not walk in it.’”

In this modern world, we use technology for everything. It is the quickest way to do things, but if the ‘medium is the message’ then we sell ourselves short by using an electronic Bible all the time and a prayer list stored on the word processor. By its very nature, technology changes the way we receive the message. At the very least, it can distract me from hearing the Holy Spirit.

What is the ancient path, the good way? Do I use a scroll and stylus? No, I’m not disobeying God by using my computer, or by conveying my thoughts via the Internet. However, I can miss that soul-rest whenever I’m distracted by the technology (which font should I use?) and focused on what I should write, rather than listening for what He wants me to hear.

Jeremiah 6 continues: “I appointed watchmen over you and said, ‘Listen to the sound of the trumpet!’ But you said, ‘We will not listen.’ Therefore hear, O nations; observe, O witnesses, what will happen to them. Hear, O earth: I am bringing disaster on this people, the fruit of their schemes, because they have not listened to my words and have rejected my law.’”

God has the power to ruin the plans and actions of any nation or individual person. If I don’t listen to Him and reject His ways, I should not be surprised if disaster happens. He can do that, not in mean or evil retribution, but to get my attention, to remind me who I serve, to show me His way is the best way.

What do I change? I’ve noticed that most people focus on their actions. However, I know that I can look good on the outside—but God is interested in my heart. Why am I doing this? How attentive am I to His voice, His commands? Am I thinking and doing what He wants? Or am I more concerned with what I think will make me look good? Is my heart open to Him? Or set on doing my religious duties in my own way?

Lord, I’m listening.

No comments: