February 27, 2006

Why Resist a Free Gift?

This week a dying man was told about the grace of God and His offer of eternal life to all who will believe and receive Christ. The man said he was not interested in this free gift. He wanted to “take his chances.” Another man came to church last Sunday and heard the same offer, but he decided he is bound for hell and nothing can be done about it.

How can these two people, and thousands like them, have no interest in eternal life freely offered by God? How can they not care what happens to them after they die?

The only reason I can come up with is that sin makes people so anti-God that humble submission to Him sounds worse than hell. No wonder the Bible says that apart from the saving power of God, “There is none who seeks after God . . . there is no fear of God before their eyes.” Everyone goes their own way, lives by their own rules and laws, and has no concern about the after-life. Sin gives them an aversion to God and His glory, permeates all that they are and affects everything they do.

What about me? I know there is a God and believe there is both heaven and hell. Is that good enough? James 2:19 says not: “You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe — and tremble.” Satan no doubt has flawless doctrine but that does not save him.

Knowing about Him is not enough. We are supposed to change our attitude and turn from sin and running our own lives and follow Him. But apart from His touch, I would never turn to Him — it is not in me to even want to do that.

When Adam and Eve first sinned, it was God who put them out of the garden and separated them from Himself. Only He could turn them around and bring them back to Himself. I’m the same. The sin in me resists God, but even if it didn’t, as a created being (like a plant or a rock), I cannot change my own nature. Only God, who created me, can remake me.

What an awesome thought that God would even consider redoing those who have said no to Him, but He does. One day He opened my eyes and shone His light into my heart. Something happened. I realized my lost and sinful condition, but at the same moment understood that He was doing something inside me, something that I could and would never do myself. In a moment He changed my sinful nature. Instead of running away I began to run to Him.

That was over thirty years ago, and I am still following after Him, still being changed, and still amazed.

No comments: