December 11, 2021

God’s purpose for my trials

 

Sitting for long periods of time on hard chairs is not doing my body any favors. I woke up this morning after a day flying and driving and thought of those verses in the Bible about steadfastness and patient endurance. As much as pain is a distraction, I know that God has a purpose in even this. His will is that I be like Jesus who is certainly the best example of how to endure tough times. For the worst of them, He said, “Not my will but thy WILL be done.”

In the OT, STEADFAST used more than two hundred times. It almost always refers to loyal love, an unfailing kind of love, kindness, or goodness that describes God’s love and faithfulness in relation to His covenant and His people. This means that when I say “Thy will be done” I know it will be for God’s glory and my well-being. Just two examples show what His love does and how I am supposed to respond:

Exodus 15:13. “You have led in your steadfast love the people whom you have redeemed; you have guided them by your strength to your holy abode.”

Psalm 13:5. “But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.”

I’ve found complaining easier than rejoicing but complaining says that I’m not trusting His will for me, that I would rather rule my own life and not have this problem (or any problems).

There are two words in the NT that are translated steadfast. The first one means ‘to be steady, not subject to change or variation; especially in behavior.’ It is about keeping on, about doing what God wants me to do without getting tired or thinking it is a waste of time and effort. 1 Corinthians 15:58 puts a positive spin on my aches and pains: “Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.”

That is helpful. I’ve a task today that qualifies as “the work of the Lord” and need to think of it, not myself or my problems. The other steadfast word describes what I need to be able to do that. It means ‘steadfast endurance, the power to withstand hardship or stress; especially the inward fortitude necessary.’

The verses that were on my mind when I woke up come from James 1. They are not popular, but this says what I need from God — so I do not whine but joyfully engage the challenges of today.

James 1:2–5. “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”

A few other verses using the same word are also helpful and encouraging.

Colossians 1:9–11. “And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy.”

2 Thessalonians 1:4. “Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring.”

Hebrews 12:1. “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. The bodily discomfort may or may not diminish, but either way, the joy of the Lord is my strength and by keeping my focus on Him and His steadfast love and purpose for this trial changes things. For that, I am grateful and will press on.

 

No comments: