August 26, 2017

Is a purpose statement helpful?



Those who are big on time management and planning your life often tell people to write a purpose statement. Over the years, I’ve had several. Some led me into things that didn’t fit, mostly because it is not easy to figure out my purpose. In the last few years, I’ve redone it to at least fit with my spiritual gifts. That helps, but I’ve concluded that it should be simple, something like: LOVE GOD DO WHAT HE SAYS.

Part of that conclusion comes from Elizabeth Elliot who was asked at a luncheon how she managed her time. She replied, “I just do the next thing. I always know what it is.”

For me, doing the next thing means having a close relationship with God so that I know what He is telling me to do each day, even each moment. It also means being natural about it, even spontaneous. In living by this purpose statement, I’ve often done or said things that surprised me, yet realized they were from the Lord and exactly what He wanted for that moment or situation.

At the same time, I’ve wanted a ‘life mission’ because it seems to me it would be easier. I’ve compared it as the difference between a light flooding the past ahead all the way to its conclusion, and walking a dark path at night with a flashlight that illuminates only the next step ahead. Jeremiah had the floodlight:

Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’; for to all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.” Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the Lord said to me, “Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.” (Jeremiah 1:4–10)

As a young man, this prophet knew what God wanted and spent his life doing it. He endured many trials and persecution from those who did not want anyone telling them the will of God for their lives. Even though he has been called ‘the weeping prophet’ he knew he was doing the right thing.

The Apostle Paul also had a floodlight, at least for the reason God saved him. He didn’t always know what was ahead on his path, but he knew why he was walking it and what he was supposed to do for every step of his journey:

“Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God, who created all things, so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him.” (Ephesians 3:7–12)

For me, there is no ‘life-long’ mission. I finally settled with what a speaker said at a writers’ conference: “Love God and do what He says.” She added, “Today you might be writing. Tomorrow He might want you to do something else.” For me, this is it — my purpose statement. Following it has had some interesting results.

Besides the adventure part that comes from “go here” and “do that” and “speak up” and “shut up” and so on, God has used that purpose statement to set me free from selfish ambition, worldly desires, a lot of pride, and a value system based on trying to be the ‘best’ at everything I do. What I do, say, even think, is up to the Lord. If I decide to ignore Him even for a little while, life goes quickly sideways. This purpose statement has honed my conscience, improved my spiritual hearing, and almost completely removed any notion of worrying about what people think.

Right now, I know I need to hustle to the next thing — go to the hospital and bring my hubby home!

^^^^^^^
Jesus, thank You for guiding me day by day, even moment by moment. My life will not add up to the eternal significance of a Jeremiah or a Paul, but I’m content with You being the light on a path that is sometimes dark — because You always make it an adventure filled with interesting and even delightful twists and turns.

Family update: My husband had reconstructive surgery yesterday. His nostril was rebuilt using cartilage from his ear and skin from his forehead, fixing the cut area to remove a skin cancer. The surgery took more than four hours. He had a rough day yesterday with pressure bandages, lots of bleeding, nausea from the anesthetic and not able to keep food down or sleep. However, around 7:30 he lost the wooziness and had a good night. He looks like he’s been assaulted with a lead pipe or was in a car accident, but feeling good and thanking God that this is over. Me too.

No comments: