July 14, 2017

Total contentment



A sales person called a few days ago. He was vague about who he worked for and claimed that I had answered their ad on the Internet. Since I knew that was not true, I began asking him questions. His pitch was to “help me make more money” using their free software whereby we would go into an online trading partnership. Of course, I was promised great return if I would just listen to his sales pitch.

I told him I was not interested in making money but that was the only appeal he knew. For about twenty minutes he tried to convince me of the benefits of having more money and I kept telling him that I had no need for more money and was perfectly content. No matter what he tried, I told him how well I am doing without more money. He didn’t know what to do with me and I was inwardly smiling — everything I said to him was true, but he had a hard time believing me. He thought I must be a billionaire.

Then he tried another tactic and said if I would listen to him, I’d never have to work again. I told him I wasn’t working now and never had worked. That is true also, and he had trouble believing me. As his frustration grew, I kept telling him that I was totally content and had no need for whatever he was selling. Finally, I asked him to take me off his phone list. After five or six requests, he realized he was wasting his time with me.

When the call ended, I felt that peace that passes understanding —everything I said was true. In Christ, I am secure and taken care of. No one can threaten the love of God who has blessed my life with great abundance but more so, with great contentment. As I read today’s Scripture cited in Fortner’s devotional book, I could shout a loud YES to the psalmist’s song of praise . . .

“Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation. Great are the works of the Lord, studied by all who delight in them. Full of splendor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever. He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and merciful. He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever. He has shown his people the power of his works, in giving them the inheritance of the nations. The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy; they are established forever and ever, to be performed with faithfulness and uprightness. He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name! The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!” (Psalm 111:1–10)

The caller could not understand my responses to him, but the congregation of God fully understands. Together, we know the great things that God does, and that He is wonderful and completely righteous, gracious and merciful. He provides for His people and shows us His power. We know He is faithful and trustworthy.

^^^^^^^^^^
Dearest Lord Jesus, this psalm expresses it well, but those who do not know God cannot see the wonder of You. I remember those days when my sin and self-efforts blinded me to Your greatness. I could not see what the psalmist sees, nor what I see now. I’m thrilled that You opened my eyes, but also that You came into my life and gave me Your peace and a contentment so deep that it baffles those who think security and peace depends on the thickness of their wallet. I am truly grateful that I can rely on You to take care of everything I need.

No comments: