May 20, 2014

A ‘not so quiet’ time . . .



. . . He leads me beside still waters. (Psalm 23:2)

Some Christians, I’ve been told, think if you are filled with the Spirit that you don’t’ need a daily quiet time with God. I don’t know how that works for them. For me, I don’t know whether or not I am filled with the Holy Spirit unless I am daily in the Word of God. In fact, I can make excuses for myself thinking that I am okay when something is wrong and I’ve not been confronted with the black and white words on the page that plainly say what it is that I’ve done, or not done.

his I suspect is the reason why the psalmist wrote, “I rise before dawn and cry for help; I hope in your words. My eyes are awake before the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promise.” (Psalm 119:147–148)

I’m convinced that daily devotions are vital for spiritual health. I’m also convinced that having this quiet time should be early in the morning. What a good way to start the day, clear of mind and unburdened in spirit.

Besides, this was the pattern of the Old Testament priests . . .
One lamb you shall offer in the morning, and the other lamb you shall offer at twilight. . . .  It shall be a regular burnt offering throughout your generations at the entrance of the tent of meeting before the Lord, where I will meet with you, to speak to you there. . . . And Aaron shall burn fragrant incense on it. Every morning when he dresses the lamps he shall burn it . . . (Exodus 29:39; 42 and 30:7)

It was also important to Jesus, yet He added another element: “He would withdraw to desolate places and pray.” (Luke 5:16)

This is ironic. I’m writing this is a café in a busy airport. Sometimes a ‘quiet’ time in a ‘desolate’ place is just not possible!




No comments: