June 14, 2012

Sin is like crazy glue

Jacob, whose name means “he takes by the heel” or “cheats,” had a history of conniving selfishness. He stole his elder brother’s birthright and the blessing of their father. Yet when he left home to find a wife, God encountered him in a dream with a promise of land and many descendents. He also said…
Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. (Genesis 28:15)
I can relate to Jacob in his selfishness. Yesterday, God again showed me how prideful I am. I do not deserve even the least of His blessings. As I read this morning several psalms, I noted that David, a “man after God’s own heart” often felt the same way. Certainly, sinners all are we, yet being a child of God is more about God than it is about us.

Jacob went on in life to connive and do things contrary to the will of God. At one point, he wrestled with God and demanded a blessing yet still God blessed him, despite Jacob’s best efforts to run his own life. In the end, God kept His promises to him, just as he did for David and just as He does for me. 

I’m humbled by the story of Jacob. He learned all his lessons the hard way. Sometimes I wonder if I learn any lessons at all, because I am so prone to repeat my mistakes. Sinful patterns stick to me as if coated with crazy glue. Even when I repent with tears and determination to go another way, I trip over myself in the process and wind up on the same sinful path. 

But God (two precious words in the Bible) promised that He is with me. He will direct, keep and guide me wherever I go. Jesus repeats that He will never forsake me and eventually bring me to the destiny that He has promised. He will keep all the promises He has made, blessing me in countless ways that I neither earn nor deserve. He is my Savior; I am convinced that I cannot save myself.


Lord, I am on my face before You. My salvation truly is all about You. You have promised me deliverance from this evil called sin, and You will keep Your promises regardless of my resistance and foolish disobedience. One day I will stand before You, as Job said, and be like pure gold.

No comments: