January 5, 2012

A Song in my Heart

We are traveling with family members this week. One of them is eight years old and full of energy. Every now and then she bursts into a portion of the Halleluiah course. After a few times, I found myself doing the same thing.

The best days are those when I wake up with a song in my heart. I’m no musician, but the Lord often does this because it is part of what it means to be filled with His Spirit. When that happens, I have assurance of a good day with Him --- as long as I don’t tip over into sin.
The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Glad songs of salvation are in the tents of the righteous: “The right hand of the Lord does valiantly, the right hand of the Lord exalts, the right hand of the Lord does valiantly!” (Psalm 118:14–16)
Relying on God means that He is my strength, my total resource. He lives in me and gives me whatever I need to do whatever He wants me to do.

He is also my song. That is, when the joy of the Lord fills me (it is His joy), it often expresses itself in music. Again, I am not musical, but He is, and the songs of praise are from His Spirit.

I’m not sure of the spiritual state of the eight-year-old. She has heard the gospel and is happy all the time. Perhaps this is the Holy Spirit bursting out of her. All that I know for certain is that her singing is contagious. This is a good reason for me to focus on the Lord, rely on His strength, and let Him do the singing.

Lord, may this day be a day of praise from the heart. Yes, I know I have a choice to make for that to happen, but You are my song. Praise flows most easily when I am filled with Your Spirit and the glad songs of salvation come from simply being delighted with You. 

No comments: