August 22, 2010

To Live is Christ — profiting by His Word

For the past few days I’ve thought about how God created the world. The Bible says that He spoke and by the power of His Word, everything else came into existence. This very Word later became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth, God in human flesh, Jesus Christ.

If something like this happened in a Sci-fi movie, would it be believable? Special effects could make a being speak, then make the words spoken morph into a person. That person would then personify what was uttered. Few modern movie viewers would have a problem with that depiction. They could easily put aside their rationale and enjoy the movie.

Yet what so few realize is that nothing is fiction with God. He spoke and His Word created the world, then later materialized into a man. This is powerful stuff. This is the Word who died for the sins of the world, then rose from the dead. Nothing is too difficult for God. He does not need a special effects crew.

But there is more. God spoke and men recorded what He said to them and how He dealt with them. This written Word tells the story of creation and of sin, and of redemption. It is a very powerful Word that changes lives. It changed my life and is still changing it.

After Jesus returned to the Father in heaven, Paul’s life was changed by the Word. He later wrote to a struggling young pastor named Timothy and reminded him of the power of Scripture and how Timothy must remember it and persevere. 

But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:14–17)
Scripture made Timothy wise for salvation through faith. This faith is from Jesus Christ and imparted to the human heart through the written or spoken Word of God. With this book, God still speaks.

I clearly remember the day that God used one verse of Scripture to open my heart to Him. I cannot recall which verse, but I do remember what happened. Suddenly I knew that the Bible was true, that Jesus is God the Son, that He died for my sin, and that I was forgiven. Jesus was in the room with me. I felt bathed in light and in lightness. My burdens were gone. The Word of God and the Spirit of God changed my life. He changed me.

The rest of what Paul wrote adds that the Word of God is inspired by God and has great value. Besides salvation, His Word teaches me about Him. It reproves me when I sin and corrects me when I go astray. It fills the blanks in my life and completes me. It gives me what I need to do what God wants me to do.

I’ll be reading these precious verses for a few days. Although I already know what they say, God will bless me with this reminder — I’m also to continue in the things I have learned and that He has assured me of, knowing that all of it has come from His gracious mouth directly into my needy heart. 


Picture source

No comments: