November 22, 2009

What was I thinking?

Whenever I blurt out, “What was I thinking?” I usually mean that I wasn’t, or at least not about the need of the moment. Reflecting on the past is good, as is planning for the future, but most of the time my mind needs to be in the moment. What is going on right now? Failure to do that results in all sorts of unwanted events, from little ones spilling milk on the floor because I put the glass at the edge of the table, to taking a wrong turn and winding up lost and having to backtrack.

Today’s verse is about how Christians should think, or rather, what faculties we need to use in our thinking. My old nature (now crucified with Christ and useless) thinks first and foremost very selfish thoughts. This is a reject. The alternative is much better.

For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16)
When I was saved, God gave me a new mind or way of thinking. He now interjects my human thought patterns with divine and supernatural thoughts. How cool is that! For instance, a friend broke his ankle. The first thought that came to my head was buy him some special socks. Odd for me to think that, but when he opened the bag and pulled out the socks, God’s blessing was written all over his face. This was another one of God’s good ideas.

I do agree with the apostle Paul when he said that, “Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace” (Romans 8:5-6).

Because of the Spirit of God in my life, I can think on a different level. In the case of the socks, before Christ I may not have thought to get a little gift, and if I had, it would have been to impress someone with my thoughtfulness. That would be selfish and fleshly thinking. Jesus never thinks that way.

However, having the mind of Christ, or being able to think like He thinks, requires a bit more than a renewed brain. Paul also said, “Of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God — and righteousness and sanctification and redemption” (1 Corinthians 1:30).

God also imparts His wisdom to His people. We can think the deep thoughts of the eternal God and apply the knowledge He gives in ways that surprise even us. In fact, if someone says to me, “You are out of your mind” that could mean time to recheck my thinking, but it could also be good reason for rejoicing.

No comments: