January 7, 2007

The war is over, period.

Some people love conflict. The more fights and arguments the better. We have one family member who seems to enjoy putting other people at odds, stirring up emotions and creating mistrust. Not me. Even if two other people are fighting, I want to make peace.

The peace I have with God is also precious. Jesus died to make it possible and when I mess up and feel at odds with Him, I want it fixed as soon as I can. I want others to know that peace as well, to know that God loves them, even if it sounds like a cliché.

Yet the enemy of our souls is very good at creating unrest toward God in the human heart. He has a multitude of ways to create doubt about the love of God. “How can anyone love you?” “Look what you did—God hates that” or “Why should He bother with someone like you?”

I was fortunate to have a loving father here on earth. His care for me was consistent and never in doubt. When I think how easily I am duped about the love of my heavenly Father, I feel great sympathy for those whose earthly example was not as reliable as mine.

Nevertheless, every one of us needs to learn that God cares and that His care is seen, not primarily in how people treat us, or how our human father treats us, but in Jesus. Romans 5:10 says, “For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.”

This is a statement, not a question. It is a declaration that God has proven His love for us by sending Jesus to die. The conflict is over. God’s anger against my sin is gone. All that I’ve ever done against Him has been forgiven. I am no longer His enemy or the object of His wrath. The best part is that although I couldn’t do a thing to appease Him myself, in love and while I was still a sinner, He took care of that Himself. Jesus died for me. What more can He do to say “I love you”?

A few chapters later in Romans 8, He says the same thing. “If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.”

This passage goes on to say that nothing can separate me from the love of God, nothing. The enemy tries. Even contrary and unbelieving people try, but the love of God toward me was established two thousand years ago in history, and before the world began in the mind of God. He has all the bases covered, and for this, on this Sunday morning, I rejoice!

No comments: