August 28, 2017

Who is a genuine Christian?



Because the purpose of God in the life of His people is to transform us into the image of His Son, there are many times I look in the mirror and wonder if I am even a believer. I don’t even come close to being like Jesus. The standard is too high for me.

When I think this way, God reminds me of two things. One is that if I look at myself all I see is myself and my Christianity is not about my performance.

The other is His definition of who is a Christian and why. Paul put it this way:

“For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh— though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith.” (Philippians 3:3–9)

If anyone could look at their own credentials and pass the test, this man could. He obviously had a zeal for God that surpasses everyone, but that was not his claim to being a child of God. He put all his history, character, performance, credentials, and everything aside because he knew righteousness was a gift of God through faith. In other words, his claim to salvation depended on Jesus Christ, not on himself or anything he was, or could do, or had done.

I’ve said before that only God can kick my behind and hug me at the same time. He has done this over and over, many times using others to humble and bless me. The hugs and kicks are repeats of what happens in salvation. He chose me, a total sinner, to be His child. He made me aware of how far short I fall and at the same time put me in His family, forgave my sin, gave me the Holy Spirit and the righteousness of Jesus Christ. That one big kick booted me into His loving care — where there are many, many hugs.

Measuring up by what I do is futile. The nation of Israel had been chosen and given the laws of God and failed. They could not keep them. Their only hope for salvation was faith in God who would send them a Messiah. But they became proud of their ‘status’ without considering that if they really believed as they claimed, their lives would show it. They could not claim ‘I am His’ without the transforming obedience that goes with faith.

When Jesus came, He offered faith and new life to all. Yet the Israelites fought that idea, insisting on circumcision and law-keeping. Duh. It had not worked for them; they could not save themselves or be what God wanted them to be by doing anything. Instead of welcoming Him, they became outraged that the despised Gentiles could be children of God just by believing in this man who claimed to be their Messiah.

“But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but ‘Through Isaac shall your offspring be named.’ This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as offspring . . . What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.’ So, then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” (Romans 9:6-8 & 14-16)

My salvation is not based on my performance for my performance will always be flawed. It is based on God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ, both humbling (I do not deserve it) and exalting (for the same reason)!

^^^^^^
Jesus, You saved me, not by works that I have done or any other reason based on me. You gave me new life according to Your mercy and by the power of Your Holy Spirit. I am included because of Your love and for no other reason. My life is being transformed and oddly enough, I can see it when I look at You rather than myself. You are my Savior and Lord and for that, I rejoice.

For those who have asked: My hubby is healing. He feels good, but looks awful with about 10” of stitches and much seeping blood, but the people who change his dressing say the surgery is ‘the best’ they have ever seen. So, we are taking it easy, getting lots of rest, and praying with thanksgiving. We are also praying for the people of Texas, that they will grab hold of God’s hand in their struggle to survive and recover from this catastrophic storm.

No comments: