August 21, 2017

Identifying with those who are lost



Sometimes people will talk with such intensity that I wish they would take a breath so I could insert a comment or response — or maybe I am like that myself? Sometimes I wonder if the Apostle Paul was like that. He certainly was the master of long sentences. This is not the longest, but it does have nearly 140 words in English, about 100 in Greek.

“Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:1–7)

Paul wrote this to a preacher in Crete whose pastoral role came up against many challenges. Paul’s short letter is filled with instruction about how to do this job and what this pastor needed to tell the Christian people under his care.

Most scholars feel that the problems in any of those early churches can be discerned through reading Paul’s specific instructions to them. That being the criteria, then these Christians in Crete had quite a few issues, particularly in their relationship with those in authority and with each other. However, instead of accusing these people of their sinful behavior, Paul told Titus to remind them that all believers came from a life of sin, and to tell them again and again what Christ had done for them.

This reminds me of a recent conversation with someone who was using strong and judgmental language about the sins of others, in this case non-Christians who were doing vile things. As we talked, I began to feel uncomfortable about the attitude that was emerging. The words and expressions indicated, “I am better than that” and “I would never do that.”

After breathing a prayer for help, the Lord prompted a response. In case I worried about saying the wrong thing, Paul’s exhortation to Titus confirms that I was correct. I told this person that many of the people being criticized likely already know that they should not be doing what they do. They don’t need fingers pointed at them so much as they need someone to give them the solution to their problem. They need Jesus, and they need us to tell them about Him. They also need to know that we too have struggled with sin and that God’s salvation is not based on any good things we have done. Everyone is saved by mercy and grace. Everyone is saved by being made a new person by the power of the Holy Spirit and the wonderful grace of God.

A third person in the conversation obviously agreed and fell silent, but the one filled with condemnation didn’t stop the tirade against certain sinners. From that, and from these verses, I’ve concluded that I was ‘preaching’ to myself, and that my admonition was for my own tendency to judge sin without sharing the solution for sin.

As Paul wrote, at one time I was also foolish, disobedient, led astray, and filled with various problems and a great lack of love for others. Sometimes these things still creep in and pull me down. But, like Paul wrote, when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved me. It was not because of anything I did or did not do, but salvation is about His mercy, totally undeserved on my part. He washed away my sin and changed my heart through the power of the Holy Spirit. Because of His rich grace, I am justified in the sight of God and been given the gift of eternal life. I cannot correct others for their behavior unless I’m willing to be corrected for mine!

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, what a wonder You are! You save sinners — and all of us fall into that category. You cover and forgive our sin and grant to us eternal life — all because of grace and mercy. How dare I call down others who are no different than myself. All of us need You. All of us stand before You as guilty, yet all can be declared righteous and set free from otherwise certain condemnation. You did not come here to condemn but to save. You have given me the ministry of reconciliation — most certainly that means that I must identify with sinners or I have no right to tell them how to escape God’s wrath. You want me to be like You, full of mercy and grace, and leave the pronouncements of guilt to the Holy Spirit who is equipped and qualified to make an effective conviction. My potshots anger people and puts them on the defensive. I need to stand where I belong, alongside those who need You as much as I need you.

No comments: