June 23, 2012

Will God rescue me when I got myself in trouble?

Our son’s wedding rehearsal was yesterday afternoon followed by a dinner for at least forty people. We then helped our future daughter-in-law and her bridesmaids with some decorations in the reception room. After we came home, I was too wound up to go to sleep so read for a while. I still couldn’t sleep and woke this morning feeling as if the night was spent with a pillow over my head.
 
If I ever wondered about God’s sense of timing (or even His sense of humor), I wonder no more. Today’s Bible reading gives me His reminder that He can solve my problem, and the writing that goes with them reminds me that He is not obligated to fix anything that is my fault.
. . . as your days, so shall your strength be. (Deuteronomy 33:25)
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)
The author of the reading uses these verses to point out that God will not impose any needless burdens upon me. He will not ask of me more than He knows my strength will bear. He never asked Peter to come to Him on the water, without at the same time imparting strength and support for him on those unstable waves. He will not ask me to draw water if the well is too deep, or to remove a stone if it is too heavy. 

But the reading does not stop there. He writes that God does not consider anything as impossible that I, as a free and responsible person, have the power to avert. That is, He will not regard as my misfortune what is also my crime. I stayed up too late. This was not forced upon me. While He grants renewed strength to the weary, I could have come home sooner. I could have also put down the book. Can I expect His help when I was not sensible and got myself over-tired? 

Yet isn’t it my sinfulness that causes most of my problems? God is my Savior from sin. Will He save me from the problems of being weak and unable? Did Christ come to give power to overcome foolishness only before I make the mistakes, or power also have I have messed up? Will He leave me in the pits that I foolishly dig? The Bible also says,
He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:29–31)
The last part of these verses has been written into a chorus and this song is already running through my mind. Well for now, maybe it is only walking, yet whether God chooses to renew my strength for the wedding today or lets me feel this tired all day, I have already decided my best option is to wait on Him.


Lord, I am old enough to know better and disciplined enough to know that I cannot take You for granted. Yet this day is not about me. Perhaps I need to feel tired so I will depend on You for the energy and grace to do my part in today’s ceremony and celebration, rather than depending on my excited emotions. Whatever happens, enable me to hear Your voice and do what You ask, and to honor You on this important day.

No comments: