June 15, 2011

Get a move on

God has an amazing way of working what I will read each day with what is going on in my life or in my attitudes. This morning’s to-do list is long and I slept in. Spurgeon’s devotional readings did not speak, but Oswald Chambers did, even just the title: Get a move on — In the Matter of Drudgery.
He referred to a passage that tells me what God has given me in Christ Jesus and how I need to add to that the habits of a spiritual and godly life. My Bible uses “supplement” rather than “add” but both words mean the same thing. I’m to supply or produce these things out of the resources God has given me.

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:3–8)
Chambers tells me to pay attention, form habits, give diligence and concentrate. No one is born with character and good habits. Both must be formed on the basis of my new life in Christ and both must be increasing continually.

He goes on to say that this is not about being a spiritual super star but about doing the common stuff of ordinary life, for here also is a way to exhibit the grace of God. He adds, “Drudgery is the touchstone of character.”

How easy it is to fall into the trap of wanting to do “big” things and forget how Jesus took a towel and began to wash the disciples’ feet. My chores are mostly common routine, cleaning and sorting, buying groceries and making meals. However, Chambers says that routine is God’s way of saving me between those tasks I might think of as more lofty pursuits. If I can learn to live in the domain of drudgery by the power of God, I am more useful to Him in all other domains.

Adding or supplementing is difficult for those who expect the Christian life to be a “flowery bed of ease” or who think God is not concerned about the daily stuff. However, obedience in the tiniest detail has requires as much of God’s grace as any “larger” command. As Chambers says, if I do my duty not for duty’s sake, but because I believe God is engineering every circumstance, then God’s grace is mine at that point as well as any other point of obedience. In other words, there is no difference in His supply of grace. It is as full and free for reaching souls as it is for dusting window sills.

**************
Lord, if I can tackle this humdrum to-do list with Your grace, it will not only build my ability to rely on You all the time, but also make the humdrum a delightful act of service. Others may not notice or care that my studio is tidied up, for instance, but You are not the author of confusion. An organized space speaks of You even as does an eloquent sermon. Grant me the grace to serve You with perseverance and joy, no matter the size or nature of the tasks at hand, today and always.

No comments: