September 5, 2010

To Live is Christ — blessed because I am His

The Old Testament prophets gave to God’s people His messages. Some were hopeful and filled with promise. Others were warnings that in our vernacular would sound something like “Shape up or ship out.”

When they obeyed, God’s favor was shown them in many ways, particularly by prosperity. He blessed them with good crops and success. When they disobeyed Him, He warned them of curses like famine, war and drought.

These days many tend not to think of the events of life having any relation to their spiritual lives. Part of that is because life seems so haphazard, even unfair. The pagans might be filthy rich and the faithful might be desperately poor. We obey God and life hands us financial reverses. However, success and prosperity are not always measured in money.

After a time of disobedience, the Israelites may have thought God would give up on them. They had lost much and their future looked bleak. However, He told them this would not be the case.

Then I will sow her (Israel) for Myself in the earth, and I will have mercy on her who had not obtained mercy; then I will say to those who were not My people, ‘You are My people!’ and they shall say, ‘You are my God!’ (Hosea 2:23)
Their blessing was not in money but in relationship. They would be the people of God, unique in a world of idol worshipers and pagans. Yet the wording seems odd. God says He will sow His people in the earth, like seeds. What is that about? Yet as I consider what happens to a seed in the ground, it makes sense. The seed dies, or appears to. Then life comes from it, and it grows and produces more seed. This is exactly what God intends from His people, Israel then, and Christians now. We are supposed to reproduce others like ourselves, just as Jesus said in the New Testament.
I tell you for certain that a grain of wheat that falls on the ground will never be more than one grain unless it dies. But if it dies, it will produce lots of wheat. If you love your life, you will lose it. If you give it up in this world, you will be given eternal life. (John 12:24–25, CEV)
While this sounds like surrender earns eternal life, the rest of the Bible shows that this is not what Jesus is saying. How it works is when Jesus plant us, we give our lives back to Him. It is as natural as planting seeds. We die to self and the mysterious life of Christ in us is life like that in a seed — it may seem dead but grows to produce fruit.

A few weeks ago someone asked me how God used me and how did I know when it happened. This is a good question. I replied that I’m not sure I always know and it is better that way. Sometimes I think I did or said nothing of particular spiritual value and others tell me that God used me to bless them. Other times I think I did something God wanted and maybe got a bit proud of myself, but saw no return for my efforts. Just as a ‘dead’ seed can grow, this life of Christ is mysterious. When will it pop up? The best way to ‘know’ is by faith. God says that when I abide in Christ and obey Him, my life will be fruitful. I must simply believe it and act accordingly.

The blessings are not about money or prosperity. Instead, God gives peace in turmoil, joy in sorrow, strength in weakness, and a host of other unexplained yet glorious experiences. These are not rewards for obedience, but God’s way of proving that I am His child and He is my God.

No comments: