November 10, 2009

So lock me up

In a chick flick, a young person has an “invisible” friend who eventually tries to take her life. Adults with invisible friends are usually locked up or at least given medication. Such “fantasies” are harmful and keep people from living normal and productive lives.

That being said, I have an invisible friend who does just the opposite. He gives me life in abundance, keeps me safe, and allows me to live abundantly above what I once did. On top of that, He gives me joy that will not quit. 

Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory . . . (1 Peter 1:8)
Today’s devotional reading offers several reasons why this invisible Friend is so valuable, and why I have every reason to be joyful.

The first reason is that He is sovereign. Nothing is outside of His control. He even works out everything for my good (Romans 8:28). He is changing me into the image of His Son, and the more time I spend with Him, the more influence He has on me. Good friends are like that.

He also totally understands me too. I agree wholeheartedly with the psalmist who wrote, “You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether” (Psalm 139:2-4)

Because He exercises His understanding in perfect wisdom, the advice and direction He gives to me are always bang on. Believing in such a wonderful Friend like that easily gives me inexpressible and glorious joy.

Included in my reasons for joy are the facts that He saved me, adopted me into His family, and promises me an inheritance in His Son. When He comes back to earth and becomes visible again, I will enjoy His presence and the heavenly place that He has prepared for me.

I also have joy because He promised to supply all my needs and I daily experience Him doing just that. He gives me the privilege of serving Him, of telling others about Him (even though some think I should be on medication), and of encouraging other Christians to grow in their relationship with Him because He is their invisible Friend too. We rejoice together knowing that we can rely on Him and talk with Him at any time.

If such a relationship made me withdraw from normal life instead of embracing it, or made me wear funny clothes, or never comb my hair, or do weird things, then there would be reason to wonder about my sanity. Instead, the most visible result of having this One as my invisible Friend is that He also gives me unstoppable joy.

No comments: