February 11, 2009

Understanding Success

Only one verse in the Bible uses the word “success.” It is near the beginning of Joshua:
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. (Joshua 1:8)
I’ve often read that verse and interpreted it the same way everyone would; prosperity and success are about the good life. However, as much as God wants to bless His people in all ways, I’m thinking success in His value system is not the same as most might think.

My devotional reading today starts off with this paragraph. “American society is breeding a generation of Christians who primarily want to be successful. Seldom do they have a humble attitude of service. They are unwilling to make sacrifices for the cause of Christ because they have been taught, whether verbally or not, that Christians should be rich, famous, successful, and popular.”

The Christian leaders that appear on television or have mega-churches are prominent, well-dressed, have nice homes and cars, and are well paid. In the eyes of the world, they appear to be “in it for the money” even if they are not. I know one pastor who fits that description, yet he is a humble man, not at all concerned with the things of this life. God has blessed him with material prosperity, but he has been far more successful in the things that are high in God’s value system.

In the mind of God, success is whatever advances His kingdom. For individual believers, success is becoming like Jesus. That might seem glamorous, yet Jesus poured out His life to serve others and to secure salvation for sinners. The Bible is filled with commands to God’s people about sacrificial service and this is not about being rich, famous, popular, or enjoying the good life associated with the word “success.”

Paul knew what it meant. He said, “Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me” (Philippians 2:17-18).

When I read this, I thought of the times that serving God has worn me out, but I wasn’t feeling sorry for myself, just glad that I could do what He had asked. The downer is that too many times other Christians have felt sorry for me, for my fatigue. They suggested that I “don’t work so hard” or that I take care of myself. As Paul said, I wanted them to be glad with me that I’d been given the opportunity to serve the Lord, to be poured out for the sake of others, not to worry about me.

In the mind of God, the “good life” might be a fringe benefit, but it also could be a liability and distract me from what is eternal. Instead, success is laying aside concern for myself and pouring my energies into serving Him.

2 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Phew! This was awesome and RIGHT for today! Praise God! Thank you for your obedience and sacrifice! Thank you for stating the TRUTH! God bless you!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thank you for hearing God and for your encouragement. Some days it is sorely needed!