February 20, 2009

Two kinds of spiritual fruit


Jesus illustrates my need to abide in Him by comparing it with the need of a branch to abide in the vine. As the branch draws its life from the vine, He is my source and resource, my very life also. I wrote yesterday about the fruit that comes from such a branch. It can be typical of its old nature (selfish and fleshy) or typical of the life of Christ. His fruit makes me like Him.

Today, God reminds me that Christ not only produces spiritual fruit in me, but He produces two kinds of fruit: action fruit and attitude fruit.

So which comes first? Do I act because of my attitudes, or do my actions produce my attitudes? A friend says sometimes you have to do the right thing and the right attitudes will follow. I’m more inclined to want my attitude right in the first place lest what I do is hypocrisy.

Our “which comes first” debate could go on forever, but on one thing we do agree; spiritual fruit includes both. God produces attitudes and actions that I would not otherwise have or do because of His presence in my life. Notice the combination of both of these in Paul’s prayers for the Christians at Colosse.
For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. (Colossians 1:9-12)
He prays they will have full knowledge of the will of God (no one can think right or do right without it) along with wisdom and understanding so they can live right. Philippians 1:11 says, “Being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” Doing right is the same as righteousness, and this is spiritual fruit that glorifies God.

Paul also prays for the Colossians to live by God’s power. This power will produce in them the attitudes of patience, endurance, joy and thankfulness. When those are present, what they do is pleasing to God. It is also pleasant for us, that is, we enjoy our actions because of His attitudes.

Today’s devotional reading describes action fruit that includes giving, leading others to Christ, and expressing thanks to God. These and other actions are Christian virtues exemplified in our lives.

The attitude fruit is listed in Galatians 5:22-23, “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.

Both action and attitudes come from God, but how do I get them? I don’t believe I can “act my way” into them, but must be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to think right and live right. Galatians 5:25 says, “If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Many times over the past few weeks I’ve heard said that being filled with the Holy Spirit is a choice. I need to yield control of my life to God. I need to turn from whatever my flesh or self-centeredness might want and say YES to God. When I do that, His Spirit will permeate my life and produce the proper fruit, both attitudes and actions.

No comments: