November 10, 2008

Spam Filters

The spam filter that my ISP uses normally catches everything, but lately it isn’t. I’ve an old email address that has been kidnaped and now being used to send spam to itself and for some reason, the spam filter isn’t recognizing all the junk. This is relatively harmless, just annoying. Besides, reporting and deleting dozens of junky messages takes time that could be better spent on other things.

This morning I read 1 Peter 2:5, and it reminded me that I have a most excellent spam filter, only this time the spam really does come from me. The verse says, “. . . you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Everything that I do and say, including everything I offer up to the Lord as a sacrifice to Him, goes through Jesus Christ. If my motives are questionable or my service is less than perfect, He intercedes for me. The junk is filtered out and my life is made acceptable to God.

Yesterday I had to get up in front of our church congregation and make an announcement. After I sat down, I felt like I’d erred by reading it. It should have said it. I should have made more eye contact. I should have . . . and thought of a dozen ways I’d messed up. In the back of my mind, that still small voice was telling me that He uses my words, and the results and responses are up to Him, but I was hard of hearing. I spent a few hours beating myself up.

God knows what I need and it isn’t bigger, better, more, or lessons in public speaking. I need to remember that it is not my skill or performance that makes me acceptable, but my heavenly Spam Filter who takes what I offer and makes it acceptable to His Father and mine.

Oh, how I love Jesus.

No comments: