November 24, 2008

Defeating spiritual enemies

In at least two cults, “missionary” work is mandatory. That is, their “disciples” are required to go out, usually door to door, telling people what they believe. Their decision to do this likely comes from Luke 10 where Jesus sends out seventy disciples to the cities and places He was planning to visit later.

No doubt some cult members are enthusiastic about their work. However, many of them do it out of duty to their organization. They are told they must do it or they will not find favor with God. In one case, they must visit a certain number of homes per month, and they must distribute a certain amount of their literature.

The disciples in Luke 10 had a different motivation. Jesus sent them to find people who were receptive toward them, to heal the sick, and then report back to Jesus Himself, not an organization. Interestingly, He specifically told them NOT to go from door to door.

Jesus also said they were like lambs among wolves, so I can imagine their fears as they set out. Would they be mocked? Or worse? Would anyone listen? When they tried to heal, would people become well? They were aware of spiritual opposition too. Unlike today’s cult members, Jesus gave them great spiritual authority, yet did they wonder if they could do the job? Did they pray for courage and perseverance? Very likely. I know I would have.

Later they “returned with joy” and reported their success. Some welcomed them. People were healed. The disciples said, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.”

Jesus replied “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven” (Luke 10:17-20).

Jesus knew they would succeed. They were His disciples and He had given them what they needed for the task. Further, the imperfect tense of His statement about seeing Satan fall brings out an amazing assurance. The force of what He said is this: “I was beholding Satan as lightning falling from heaven.” That is, “I followed you on your mission, and watched its triumphs. While you were wondering at the subjection to you of devils in My name, a grander spectacle was opening to My view; sudden as the darting of lightning from heaven to earth, lo! Satan was beheld falling from heaven!” (From A Commentary, Critical and Explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments).

What Jesus said is an example of a figure of speech that connects a part with the whole. When the Seventy took authority over demons, it “not only brought vividly before the Redeemer the whole ultimate result of His mission, but compressed it into a moment and quickened it into the rapidity of lightning!”

With that, Jesus raised their thinking not only from the particular to the general, but from a very temporary form of satanic operation to the entire kingdom of evil. He illustrates for us that even though Satan’s power is usurped from God and hostile against Him and His people, this power is held only by God’s permission and as God’s tool. It is not ultimate and can be defeated in Jesus’ name.

A few days ago, God made me aware that demonic forces have authority and I must be careful never to assume Satan’s host is a bunch of featherweights. False teachers will despise authority in the sense that some of them mock demonic powers and think they can simply rebuke Satan and all evil will vanish. I must not do that, but at the same time, this passage from Luke illustrates that Jesus does not leave me defenseless. He gives authority over spiritual forces of darkness with specific perimeters.

First, my name must be written in heaven. Anyone who tries to defeat demons apart from having a saving relationship with Jesus Christ will run into the same problem as the seven sons of a priest described in Acts 19. When they commanded evil spirits to come out of a man, the evil spirit answered and said, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?” Then the demons attacked and severely injured these seven.

Second, if I fight evil it must be in the name of Jesus. This is not simply tacking His name on the ends of my prayers or any commands I try to make. It is about acting as His spokesperson and on His orders. It is about a deep and personal relationship, but also about being given specific authority and instructions in specific instances. This is never to be taken lightly. In Scripture, even the angels did not rebuke demons but called on the Lord to do it.

Third, I need to realize that Satan is already defeated. Jesus destroyed his power at the cross; I don’t do it by my words or efforts. He still thrashes about (like a chicken whose head has been chopped off), yet whatever he does is only by God’s permission. That is, if Satan or any evil force is attacking me, I first need to seek the Lord’s mind in what is going on, not automatically assume that all of the enemy’s activity must be halted. God has purposes in allowing him to roam about and can use all things for my good (Romans 8:28-29).

Finally, my weapon is not verbal toward Satan but prayer to Almighty God who hears and answers my requests concerning all spiritual battles. I must wear the spiritual armor described in Ephesians 6:10-20, and use the weapons God gives me, not acting apart from His direction.

Today’s prayer list is long and I need to get at it.

No comments: