November 15, 2008

Anticipation

November 16, 2008 (15th at home)

We rode the subway yesterday from the extreme northwest end to the southeast side of Seoul. The trip took about an hour and a half. Given the speed we traveled, this is an immense city.

Most of the trip was uneventful, except for the young woman who, from the moment she got on, stood at the train door looking out. Every few minutes she took out her compact and checked her makeup, adding a dab here and there. She fussed like this for more than thirty minutes. Finally she applied fresh lip gloss and popped a breath mint into her mouth.

At the next stop, the door opened in front of her. Right outside and first in line at the platform stood a tall, handsome young man in military uniform pulling a large piece of luggage. Their eyes locked and everyone knew that this was the reason for her anticipation. He tried to maintain his military bearing, but before long both were whispering and showing great delight in being together.

For the remainder of our journey my heart was warmed, not only by this demonstration of young love, but how it reminded me that I too am anticipating a meeting. It will not likely happen on a subway train, yet I really don’t know that it will not. Unlike this young couple who obviously planned their rendevous, only the One that I am meeting knows the place, date and time. For me, it could be anywhere and anytime.

Hebrews 9:28 says of Jesus, “To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

Of course this speaks of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. In its context, this verse is compared to the sacrifices made on the Day of Atonement for the sins of the people. They eagerly waited for the High Priest to come back out of the Holy of Holies. When he did, they know that the sacrifice he made on their behalf had been accepted by God, and that He was satisfied – their sins were forgiven.

In the same way, when Jesus returns, His appearance will confirm that His sacrifice satisfied the wrath of God against my sin. The first time Jesus came, it was all about sin, but the second time He will carry no such burden. Instead, He is coming to meet His people and will take all who believe in Him to be with Him forever.

Like the young woman on the train, I am responsible to anticipate and eagerly wait for His appearance, but I know myself too well. I am not like that young woman. If I knew when I will see Him like she knew what station door would open to her beloved, I might wait until the last minute to look my spiritual best. However, as the Bible says and as this woman illustrated, I ought to be ready all the time, even continually making certain that I am prepared right up until the time heaven opens its doors and I see His face.