November 15, 2006

Things go better when . . .

Years ago I was taking a walk and praying about many things that were bothering me. During a pause in my rant (for that is what it was), I heard, “Get out of my to-do list.”

I still laugh at that rebuke from the Lord, even though I often need the reminder. It usually comes from Matthew 11: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Jesus’ words are not difficult to understand, however a Greek dictionary adds more light. The first word ‘burdened’ refers to a shipping crate filled with a heavy load. This is what I carry when I try to do God’s work without Him asking me, or anything that I tackle without His direction and help.

However when I go to Him, the burden changes. That second word for ‘burden,’ the one He calls “His burden,” describes what gets pasted on the crate—the paper invoice! How silly to carry a big crate when all He asks is that I carry just a little part.

I know why I lift too much. Jesus uses the words “gentle and humble” which are also translated “meek and lowly,” both characteristics that I need to learn. I carry the heavy load out of stubborn pride. This sinful attitude drives me to try what only God can do (or what I want Him to do but won’t trust Him to do it). Jesus invites me to confess my pride and to go to Him for rest in my soul.

Soul-rest is not the same as body-rest. Watchman Nee, a well-known Christian martyr, taught that our soul is the arena for our intellect, emotions, and volition. It is where we feel, think, dream, and make decisions. When I am working from ‘God’s to-do list,’ my soul is stressed. I am tackling more than I can handle, worried about if and how I’m ever going to get it done, aiming at more and even more, and foolishly not listening to my complaining and overworked body.

God wants me to stop ‘relying on my own understanding’ and trust Him. He knows that will mean health for me and make it much easier for Him to guide me (Proverbs 3:5-8).

He also wants me to let Him work in me so that I want, and am able, to do His will (Philippians 2:13). In other words, I need to rest that whole decision making process on Jesus, and seek His plans for my day instead of cramming in as much as I can, or taking on more than He asks of me.

As for emotions, I’ve noticed that they follow my thoughts. If I’m thinking about tough issues, I feel the stress. If I hand those tough issues to God, believing that He cares and will do something about them, He gives me a ‘peace that passes understanding’ (Philippians 4:6-7).

Soul-rest isn’t just sitting in an easy chair and putting off my chores while I have a cup of tea. It is spending time with Jesus and learning of Him, learning His humble attitude and gentle heart. When I have that, instead of stewing and taking on the wrong tasks, I’m at rest in my soul even as I work.

Jesus knows what is best for me and fits with His eternal plans. He guides my choices so that what I do is significant, even if it seems small in my thinking. Then He offers one more bonus. To get the whole thing where He wants it to be, He teams up with me and carrys the crate.

No comments: