November 22, 2006

Faith = Being Certain

Faith sometimes does not make sense. Once we were moving to another city and needed a place to live. My husband took a field trip to find a suitable house and came back with our name on a property that sounded ideal. In my heart, I thought, This is it; this is our house.

A week or so later, the landlord called to say he had rented the house to someone else. My heart still told me this is our house; this is it. I was so sure we were moving into that house that I didn’t feel disappointed or worry about it at all.

Sure enough, a few weeks later we moved into that house.

The Bible says, “Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Where does that certainty come from? In regards to that house, I had absolutely no concrete evidence for my assurance. It was just there.

Some might call it wishful thinking, even some sort of a delusional notion, but for me, that assurance is an excellent illustration of biblical faith, except for one thing; biblical faith is not blind. God does not ask me to trust Him without any concrete reasons. Instead, He offers ample evidence why I should.

First, He makes Himself known through creation. I can see His handiwork everywhere, and despite the effort of evolutionists, my heart says I am not the out-spewing of some primordial soup. Even though marred by sin, I know I am stamped in His image.

God made Himself known in other ways. Hebrews 1 says, “In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being . . .”

It’s tough to dismiss the Scripture record. The Bible not only stands the test of time, but the test of power. Lives are changed because of its impact. As I read this Book, God opens my heart and reveals Himself in a personal way. He makes Himself real through His story and His promises.

Then there is the Son. The written word is about the Living Word. The life of Jesus is recorded in at least one other historical account, but even if it were not, no one could make up a man like this Man. He accuses the entire world of sin. I would not do that to myself. He says He is the only way to God. I would not be so exclusive. He says we do not deserve nor can we earn eternal life. I would say I can be good enough (or at least try) or that there is no such thing as eternity.

Jesus is the enigma. Without believing Him, there isn’t much anyone can do with Him, other than try to change Him into something He is not, efforts that, in final analysis, are silly and don’t work.

Sure, there are things in the spiritual realm and in the Bible, that I cannot explain or do not understand. That isn’t much different than electricity. I can’t see the current flowing, yet by faith turn on the kettle or the toaster every morning. In the same way, faith works.

Faith is not a walk in the park though. When I read a promise from God, it challenges me. Will I believe it, or will I trust myself? Who is the most reliable? Who has the better track record? Faith answers those questions, faith and hard evidence.

I wouldn’t dare say that God is not real. He revealed Himself—in creation (get real, all of this didn’t just happen), in the Bible (no person could have made that up), and in Jesus Christ, who became flesh and blood and walked among us so I would know just exactly what God is like and could trust Him with my life.

Evidence of God is everywhere—in sunsets, the stars, the intricacy of a human being. I can see Him in the Book He inspired. I know His voice in the grace and truth lived out by His people. And while I cannot see Him now, I “believe in Him and am filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy” as I experience His presence. He lives in my heart and is at work producing the goal of my faith—a changed life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful and very inspiring post....on a day when I am I truly rebuked for my lack of faith. Thanks so much